Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to figure a way to stop this email from coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmario2013

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2004
US
Hi All:

as all of you should know, the MYDOOM is killing the email servers (many of them runs Exchange) out there, our server being one of them, not completed in the sense of this malicious virus but the unecessary loads increased

We have 3 lays of norton anti virus (the gateway, for the exchange and for the desktop) in our exchange, although all the attachment is striped before it gets to the users, some of them still come through (without the attachment)

there are a number of email come in by all the crazy alias like

crazy@mydomain.com
mark@mydomain.com
john@mydomain.com
jack@mydomain.com
joe@mydomain.com
mary@mydomain.com

etc.

anything with mydomin.com is coming in, but the alias just not even close,

is there a way for exchange server to be able to filter by these incoming address ? and also is there a way tell Exchange not to send NDR replys ???

Thanks
M

This will not block valid authenticated POP3 users from sending mail through our server to people outside will it? I tried putting this white list on my firewall and none of our pop3 people could send e-mails outside anymore.

Storm

In looking at the interface I notice there is a NAME field as well as an address field. What is the effect of using the name field? If someone has a person in their address book from my company but the name is different, is it going to block them? Example DADDY -vs- JOHN SMITH as the Display name even though the e-mail address is the same.

Storm

PS thanks for the help on this people, i really like XWALL.

As far as I can tell by looking at the logs, XWall validates only the email address, Name field is for your reference only.
*** This will not block valid authenticated POP3 users from sending mail through our server to people outside will it? ***
Good question, I don't use POP3 on my server so I can't answer for sure. I think if you specify the doman correctly for message routing and add the email address to the white list you should be fine. I guess I'm just not sure if XWall supports pop3, one thing you can do is allow pop3 users to authenticate directly to the Exchange server on port 110 when connecting from the outside. This shouldn't be a problem when sending email though since you would still use smtp.

Okay I instituted the white list and Pop3 works just fine as long as under relay you allow authenticated users.

Thanks guys!

Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back