Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to display only part of a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreadd

MIS
Jan 15, 2008
environment: GoldMine Corp Edition 6.7 / SQL 2000 SP4 / Win 2003 standard server / Crystal Dev. 8.5

For years I have been using this formula to display part of a field:

replace(replace({conthist.ref}, "(oc:",""),")","")

The field is a text field and looks like this:

Sent Proposal (oc: Joe Schmoe)

What I need it to look like is:

Sent Proposal

The formula i listed above worked very well for the longest. I am making an assumption that a hotfix or rollup updated something and now crystal is doing this with the formula:

Sent Proposal Joe Schmoe

So what am I missing to remove the Joe Schmoe part?

Also, the reason why we stayed with CR8.5 for all this time is that it is the last version that allowed compiling. These reports are launched by exe in taskbar in GM. Because IE is how notes are stored I am being forced into upgrading, CR8.5 loses stability in html translation. I am making major lovey eyes at CR2008 but do not want to use what business objects suggested to run reports. So I am looking for a good recommendation for a viewer that I can launch from taskbar with report that doesnt cost an arm and leg. I have about 150 users and we go thru citrix connection. thanks!

Assumming that there will always be a space and open paren " (" then use this:

left({Yourfield}, instr({yourfield}," (")-1)

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

dgillz solution will work perfectly.

Just to keep things interesting another alternative that could be used is:

extractstring({your.field},'',' (')

There is no difference (Except extractstring is only available in certain versions of Crystal) but it is always interesting to try different ways of acheiving the same result.

'J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back