Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to disable File and Print sharing by group policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvyuser

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
PH
Hi Guys,

Good Health to all you there!!

I have 50 workstations with windows XP and Windows 2000 Family server. Currently, File and Print sharing TCP options are enabled. I want to deploy a policy that would disable or uncheck the File and Print sharing at TCP network options. Is that possible? I've already checked the policy under network folder however no file and print sharing options is available. Please help me resolve this issue since it is very difficult for me to do the thing each of the pc.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and experience on this regard.

Savvyuser

simply by installing XP SP2 on the XP systems, this would "disable" F&P Sharing.. not technically disable, but block all requests on those ports as it is blocked by default.

Anyways.. in GPO

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Network Connections -> Windows Firewall -> Domain Profiles -> Windows Firewall: Allow File and Print Sharing Exception -> Set to Disabled.

This will stop the XP systems... as the firewall is an XP only deal.

Haven't found any GPO for just F&PS

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Hi LloydSev,

Thanks for taking your time on this one. I really appreciate your help. We are thinking of upgrading the OS with SP2 however, this would takes time because we have applications here that might hinder our production process. I don't want to get fired in my job before it happened. My real concern now is how to disable the File & print sharing in TCP connections. Because, currently our system is hit by a worm virus and would need to stop the sharing for the meantime. I've tried your suggestions but there is no windows firewall>domain profiles> windows firewall: Allow File and Print sharing exception is available. If you have the adm files for that lines would appreciate it very much...

Thanks for your help......

LloydSev,

I don't have that in network connection. Probably, the system that you have is XP SP2 and mine is SP1. Anyways, I have already figured it out in the registry. In order to disable the file sharing is to disable the lanmanager service so that it would disallow user to shares their documents and it would disable their sharings. I have already made script to edit the registry entries in lanmanager service.

Thanks.....

XP SP2 does have a tab which allows for quick enable and disable of File and Print Sharing..

However, Group Policy Management snapin would have the GPO setting I talked about on any XP machine..

However, I am glad you found the problem.

Would you be so kind as to show us what registry setting you changed and what you changed it to?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Hi Lloydsev,

Sorry for replying late. I've been very busy in my work. After experimenting editing the registries I came accross about the LANMANAGER. I was thinking this is the service that would serve the File & Print Sharing. I deleted all lines which belong in that folder indeed it disabled the file & pring sharing. Sharing is not also available in context menu. The registries that I'm referring to are:

1.)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanserver ... and

2.)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\lanmanserver

Omit those folders. I hope it finds helpful...

Thanks,
PC NEOPHYTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back