Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to create a user in AD with no password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

andychap

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2001
AU
Howdy

I'm probably asking the impossible, but here goes..

We're deploying a user self service application on a web server using a secure kiosk setup. We have a large AD forest (2003) and a domain wide password policy.

For the self service user I have created an object with a policy that allows access to the kiosk only. This all works fine with a normal user account.

The issue is that I would like the account to have no password. This will be the only account within the Domain configured this way and will have no rights to any domain resources.

Is there a way of creating a user account with no password in AD?

I believe that you would have to relax the domain policy, set the password, then set the policy back. That's the only way that comes to mind... every other way will tell you it doesn't meet complexity requirements.

~Intruder~
CEH, MCSA/MCSE 2000/2003

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

You could set the machine to log on automatically. Start, run, control userpasswords2 will bring up the correct dialogue box. Will this achieve what you are after?

2 additional suggestions.

1) Place the user and computer in an OU that has GPO inheritance blocked. Give the account admin rights to the station. Log in with that account on that station and change the password. (tweak local security policy on machine if needed)

2) Use TweakUI (available from MS) and set the machine to automatically log on with a user account and password that you specify. Set the account password to never expire.

Method 2 is easier.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Thanks everyone for the tips. After testing the solution from PScott, in the lab it worked, however I decided that it was too risky for the live environment and am going to make it a marketing problem and add a password.

Thanks again

Sorry NetIntruder, I tested your solution too, it was actually the one which would come closest to what I wanted but I wimped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back