Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to create a new record in a table using known values

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason305

MIS
Jan 15, 2001
US
I've got values in variables in my code. I want to append a record to a table using these values.

I'm not using any recordsets. This is all running in Access 2000 and I'm calling the tables directly.

Forgive me, I am new at this.

Thanks!

You can use the VBA Docmd.RunSQL command. Basically it is the same as running an append query. To get the SQL for it you could put together an append query and copy the SQL. I put together an an example that I ran. I made a table called AppendingFromCode. It has three fields. Name1, Address1, Amount1. Below is the code that I used to append amounts to the table. I used input boxes to get the values. You can modify as needed.

Public Function Appending()

Dim strName As String
Dim strAddress As String
Dim dolAmount As Currency

strName = InputBox("Name")
strAddress = InputBox("Address")
dolAmount = InputBox("Amount")

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO AppendingFromCode " _
& "( Name1, Address1, Amount1 ) " _
& "SELECT '" & strName & "' AS Expr1, '" _
& strAddress & "' AS Expr2, " _
& dolAmount & " AS Expr3;"

End Function

Good luck... B-)
ljprodev@yahoo.com
ProDev
MS Access Applications

Jason -

What you want to do is clearer in your code if you use a recordset. If you're OK with Lonnie's SQL, well and good, but if not, I can send you some typical code which will create the recordset and add a new record.

Best regards

Paul

Thanks for the help guys. Funny, I had actually thought of and implimented the SQL idea before I was able to get back to this. It worked great.

I've never been real sure about the recordset things. I'd be interested to learn though.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back