Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to create a metric with attribute and a metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTCMS

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
Is that possible to create a metric to do calculation from a Attribute and a metric in MSTR?
E.g. Attribute 1 is SaleYear(datatype = integer) and Metric 1 is sum(PaidAmt)
Need to create something like (SaleYear * sum(PaidAmt)), no aggregate function needed for SaleYear.

Thanks!

What values are stored for SaleYear? For example, 2003, 2004, etc? What would be the reason for this metric? If the SaleYear is storing years like 2003, 2003 * sum(paidamt) really doesn't provide any meaningful value.

Use Applysimple. to create a metric. The metric definition would be something like
applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), [saleyear])

Hi, Thanks for replying.

That's just an example, doesn't have an meaningful values.

I tried using applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), [saleyear]), but it will give me error message saying "Object (of type: Attribute) not allowed in this place."

try [saleyear]@ID whereas ID is the name of the ID form.

Hi, Z3
tried applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), [saleyear]@ID) too, same error message returned.
I also tried something like applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), int([saleyear])), doesn't work either, the only expression that is valid is the First function, applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), First([saleyear])). But it takes very long time to run the report or error message return at the end.

Try to create the metric this way: Sum(PaidAmt * Attribute Sales Year). It should work. But, it will calculate at the lowest Data level if that is your intention.

Phoenixier

using Sum(PaidAmt * Attribute Sales Year) works fine, valid expression, but not really what I want...

Why? Is it because the Sum is at a higher level than SalesYear Attribute? Then you can creat a view for SalesYear at the aggregated level. Of course, a view will cost you a talk with DBA.

Why do you want a metric * attribute? You may want to see if there is another way of achieving what you're trying to do.

Phoenixier

I need to create a linear regression line with upper and lower bound on a graph. The option that I see from MSTR is check the "show trendlines" check box, but it's only a single line. That's why I need to create a metric, 1 for the upper bound and 1 for the lower bound. The calculation is more complicated, but I just want to get the idea to see if it's possible to do.

Example will be something like:

Sales Year PaidAmt WhatINeed(SalesYear*sum(PaidAmt))
2001 100 2001*600
2002 150 2002*600
2003 200 2003*600
2001 150 2004*600

see the examples in the tutorial demo project under

public objects\reports\technical reports\reports by feature\analytics\statistics and forecasting\forecast\

There is an example of what you need.

Okay - the problem is, Your "saleyear@ID" has to conform a metric syntax. If you know your desired SQL is absolutely correct (I have some doubt), you can use the following:
applysimple("(#0*saleyear)", sum(paidamt), max([saleyear]@ID))
(you will probably get a SQL error - item selected is not in a group by clause - etc.)

If the join on attribute1 between fact and lookup is air-tight (no duplication on attribute1 ID on lookup table), you should use:
applysimple("(#0*#1)", sum(paidamt), max([saleyear]@ID))
which will be better.

Again, the root of the problem is your desired SQL. You need to have either saleyear group-byed, or you need to put an group-by function on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back