Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to create a mapped drive F of my c: drive for software to work???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
I need to create a F: drive which is actually not physical but a created drive that will map to a directory on my local c drive. This is the only way I can install some software that requires files to be written to drive F:

This could be accomplished with the SUBST command in older versions of windows and dos by using it in the Autoexec.bat file such as

SUBST F: C:\MyDir

How do I accomplish the same in Windows ME????? thanks for your help. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

Not sure if I can be of help Keith, but I'll try.

I am very familiar with the Subst trick. We used it ourselves.

With Me I don't know. Not an Me fan.

But tell me what response you get when you try it with Me.
(assuming Me provides a DOS window)

rohmor.

actually added it to the autoexec.bat file however when windows ME rebooted the autoexec.bat file was always reverted BACK to the old copy without the command. And YES i did save the file after making the change. Did it twice and made another tech watch while I saved it the second time and rebooted... I have ME too, it is not my machine but a customers... Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

Ok.

Me might not actually be reading THAT autoexec file. There
could be several, all with different filename extensions.

At the DOS prompt, list all files that are similar to Autoexec.bat:

dir c:\autoexec.*

You might see a couple files with diferent extensions.

Next, create a directory called "root":

md c:\root

Copy the files listed into that directory (for backup purposes):

copy c:\autoexec.* c:\root

Make your subst edit to all such files in c:\ .

Reboot and see if it works.

Good luck.
rohmor

I just did this on my machine on Win2k so I am going to assume you could do it for yourself.

First of all share the folder you want to use as F: (you might not need to do this part).
Hit windowskey-E to get into windows explorer. Go to tools/map network drive. Now select drive letter as F: and under path put:

\\mycomputer\name-of-folder-on-C:

Viola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back