Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to copy my C: drive to a larger capacity drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarG

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
US
My system has XP Home installed on a 20GB Western Digital drive. I want to copy the entire drive to a new 40GB drive. Western Digital has a great program, Data Lifeguard Utilities, for copying one WD drive to another. I've used this on many occasions with Win98 machines with great success. Are there any issues doing a drive copy w/ XP?

I would check with Western Digital. Not sure if their utility supports NTFS format. Anotherwords, if your file system is FAT32 you would probably be OK however, if you are using the new NTFS file system I would suspect there may be a problem.

Check into a couple of products such as Norton Ghost or Drive Image 7.0. These are products which will make images of your hard drive and that image can then be restored to another disk. You would need either a partition large enough to hold the backup image or a CD burner to burn the image to.

etom

Thanks Wolluf,

I will add that bit of knowledge to my already overloaded brain. I just worry about might fall out the other side.

etom

I regularly Back up my hard drive to another hard drive another words I Clone the 1st drive to a 2nd drive using Norton Ghost. I have XP NTFS on 1st partition and Fat 32 on 2nd Partition and the 3rd partition is Linux (which windows does not see) I Boot up using Norton Ghost boot disk and transfer everything from one drive to the other. I then make that drive my primary drive to make sure that I got a good copy (backup). I have had no problems and works good for me. I have the latest Norton Ghost.
Mel

you can make two partion on 40 gb (20gb+20 gb)
then make your image file by to the second of them
then restor your image file to the frist
after try it
if it is good then
it's done
bs :
if you want 40 GB ONE PARTION USE PARTION MAGIC8
SO WE SOLVE THE PLACE THAT CAN SAVE YOUR IMAGE FILE
AND TRY IT FRIST SO THER IS NO RISK
I HOPE TO HELP YOU
BAY FOR NOW

You can always use 'Norton Ghost' which is also very good for these kinds of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back