Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to copy data between two databases...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBest

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hi Folks

I am writing an app the has two elements, a base app and a mobile app. From time to time, the mobile unit will need to copy data up to a master database.

My plan is to have two separate connections, but have them share a dataset. The Mobile unit will fill a datatable in the dataset using a "SELECT * FROM DATABASE1.TABLE" type statement. Then I would like to use an "INSERT INTO DATABASE2.MASTERTABLE (SELECT * FROM DATASET/DATATABLE)".

My problem is I don't know exactly how to phrase the second statement, to get the data from a datatable instead of a actual table or view. Can someone tell me what the proper phrasing is to do this? Or is there a better way to do this that I may not be aware of?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Craig

CraigHartz

Craig,

Is the master DB at a website? Can you describe the situation some more. Where is the main DB in contrast to the handhelds.

If the two databases have tables with the same schema, you can load an empty DataSet from db2, then merge in a populated DataSet from db1. You can then update the DataSet to db2.

Hi Dashley

The primary DB (Base) is an Oracle server in our main office. The mobile DB is an Oracle Lite on a laptop that will be mounted in a truck. The night supervisor drives around in the truck and collects data on our properties, like a night watchman. When his shift is over he drives to our HQ building and initiate a transfer in the program. All data on the laptop is to be inserted into the primary DB as a part of the transfer, and lookup tables on the laptop will be refreshed from the Base server. The connection to the Base DB is over a wireless connection, we have already tested this and it works well.

Hope this helps!

Craig

CraigHartz

SHelton,

Thanks but I don't quite follow. Can you elaborate on the process? I think I'm missing something.

Craig

CraigHartz

Sorry, yes the tables in each DB have the same schema.

CraigHartz

Some more background,

The primary DB is not accessible through a website. Connection is made over the corporate network with an Oracle DB driver. the Mobile unit uses a Personal Oracle Lite installation, and the app connects to it through ODBC.

As an example / test, I have loaded a datatable (dtUsers) with the complete contents of one of my smaller tables from the Primary DB -- "SELECT * FROM USERS". Now I want to take the contents of dtUsers and copy it to a currently empty table on the mobile computer of the same name and schema. I had thought to use an "INSERT INTO Users (SELECT * FROM dtUsers)", but of course I don't know how to reference dtUsers in this way.

Hope someone can help!!!

Craig

CraigHartz

craig,

Ok I understand. I'm always passing through webservices etc.. So I can't really offer any good advice. I know in Sqlserver we can referene another DB by addresing with an absolute address format like select * from database.owner.table where..

You might want to give the oraclle db forum a chance to look at this one. its forum forum759

-dan

Dan,

Thanks I'll try over there. In the meantime if anyone else here has any ideas...

Craig

CraigHartz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back