Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to Convert ASCII Files into AS/400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus01

Programmer
Jul 2, 2000
US
I need to convert a ASCII File into AS/400. More specifically I need to convert a AIMS (A foxpro program) database into AS/400. Any information on how I would go about doing this Would be extreamly helpful. I don't need a program that will do this because I myself am in the process of writing a program which will need to do this.
Thank you in advance for your sharing of knowledge.

Do you have any tools? Client Access ODBC? Can you FTP it?

If using Client Acess, can create an ODBC connection and just do inserts of the Foxpro records.

If using FTP, will need to export foxpro table(s) into a text file, and then FTP the file.

Both ODBC and FTP will resolve the code page translation from ASCII to EBCDIC.

Regards...Marc
Independent Software Consultant

Got dd?

the dd command has the conv function that allows you to convert to different file types (i.e. from ASCII to EBCDIC, and vice versa). Take a look at the man pages for the proper syntax.

Have Fun!
Chuck

Recently I took and excell spread sheet and imported it into Access. I used Access's export function to export and define the record lengths and fields. Then I used Client Access to transfer the file to the AS400. Worked well and now is very quick.

Hope this helps

Krash

Take a look at the OS/400 CPYFRMSTMF (Copy From Steam File)
command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back