Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to connect over 2 ethernet lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanEnEm

Technical User
Feb 13, 2003
NL
I am running NBU DC 4.5 on W2K server with 2 NICs
I need to setup a backup policy for a SQL server with also 2 NICs.
How can I proceed?

What do you want to do? Are the two nics separate i.e. On different IP's? Are you trying to combine them into one IP using port aggregation, fast ether channel, etc?

Or are you trying to have a separate IP and NIC for the backup network?

One 10/100 adapter is for standard LAN access for the (combined) Domain controller (2nd) acting as NBU server too.
To speed up backup a 2nd already available 10/100 is planned for backup only (cross cabled to a SQL server with a 700 GB array controller). The latter als has LAN access and a free 10/100 adapter.

I did an equivalent NBU implementation under Solaris once using different IP addresses and different hostnames, but could not find the bp.conf equivalent in NBU 4 windows to set the server names.

In Windows open the Administration GUI - "NetBackup Management" - "Clients" - right click on a client to bring up the "Properties" - Under the "Universal Settings" tab is an option "Required Network Interface". Use this to specify which NIC you want to use for backups.

By default - Windows uses the firs NIC in the binding section of advanced properties for your computer. OPen "Properties" of "Network Neighborhood" and click on "Advanced" in the menu and then "Advanced Settings" - You will see the bindings order.

I agree with the last post 100%.

You should always check the binding order when you are attempting to spedify a NIC or required interface on a machine with multiple NICs.

After having set up the client to use two servers and defining two different policies, one for each NIC (i.e. network path) and off course proper directives and client definitions (do not forget to specify the specific clients representing the NICs) I managed to run backup in parallel over two LAN paths.
No need to tell that both NICs must be represented by the appropriate name resolution function on both the NBU server and client (either use DNS or specify in etc/hosts)

Thanks guys for the support Jan Meijer
COMPAREX Nederland BV

Jan-

I am curious as to one thing:

You are specifying two different masters on one client?

I was not aware that this is possible. Reason being is that when you check your servers list in the registry, the first entry on the list is always the master. Second, when you go into "configure NetBackup", you must place (CURRENT) beside of the master in the servers tab, and you can only do this to one server per client.

So, after knowing this, how can one client have two masters?

Unless of course when you said, "After having set up the client to use two servers and defining two different policies, one for each NIC", you meant to say "After having setup the client".

Please clarify as I am very interested about this.

-d-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back