Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to Close Impromptu Application Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGirl

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
AU
Hi Everyone,

I have a very weird Impromptu problem. I can open and run reports on Impromptu (User or Admin) v 7.1.724.0, but when I go to close the application (either by clicking on the X to close the app, or by choosing file--> exit), I have to do it twice to close off the app.

So, if I have a report open, and choose file --> exit, the first time, the report and catalog closes, but the app remains open, and choosing file --> exit the second time, the entire application closes.

Alternatively, if I have a report open and choose file --> close, the report closes (as it should), and then I still have to use file --> exit twice to close the application.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Its causing me a load of grief, particulary with scheduled report runs as the processes are still remaining open doe to the need to close the applicaiton twice.

J

J, I think you have a bad install and you need to reinstall Impromptu. What happening in your case, once you open Impromptu your system execute the open command twice. You can see this problem by viewing how many execute commands is running. Bring up task manager by clicking Ctrl + Alt + Delete, click task manager, click the processes tab, and under Image Name look for ImAdmin.exe. Only one file should be running, if two are running, high light one of them and click the end process tab. Reinstall Impromptu and your problem should go away.

Slope

J, I think you have a bad install and you need to reinstall Impromptu. What happening in your case, once you open Impromptu your system execute the open command twice. You can see this problem by viewing how many execute commands is running. Bring up task manager by clicking Ctrl + Alt + Delete, click task manager, click the processes tab, and under Image Name look for ImAdmin.exe. Only one file should be running, if two are running, high light one of them and click the end process tab. Reinstall Impromptu and your problem should go away.

Maybe check the icon you are clicking to open Impromptu. If there is anything after the .exe like / something then take that /something (something being a letter) out until it just reads upto \impadmin.exe.

If not then go for the reinstall.

Thanks for the suggestions....This problem is only happening with certain catalogs (not all of them, and of course not the great outdoors) and happens across 5 different desktops, and isn't impromptu version or operating system specific.

There is only ever one ImpAdmin/User.exe process open in the task manager for each instance of the application (so invoking the app doesnt create two processes).

When a user runs a report, they need to choose file --> exit twice to get the impromptu application (with only one process) to close. While this is annoying for the user, they have gotten used to it, and clicking twice to close it works OK and the processes are cleared.

Where this is a problem however is in scheduled macros....because you call to open the application and close the application, but you dont call to close the application twice. This is what is leaving around the impadmin/impuser.exe processes.

Obviously i'm thinking that the catalogs may be corrupt, but there is a huge amount of work involved with rewriting them and i'm looking for a quick fix, and was hoping that someone had experienced this before.

J

Hi JGirl

have you tried closing the application object twice via the macro ?

objimpapp.quit
objimpapp.quit

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

JGirl,
Is running Impromptu in single instance mode out of the question?

soi la, soi carré

Stepping through the macro in Cognos Script Editor, only one instance of Impromptu opened.

Try this solution:

If Impromptu must be kept as multi-instance, then running the command "<drive>:\Program Files\Cognos\Cer1\ImpUser.exe" /SI is not a solution.

In this case, the icon on the desktop had the command

<drive>:\program files\cognos\cer2\bin\impadmin.exe c:\filename.mcx

Change this to:

<drive>:\program files\cognos\cer2\bin\runmac32.exe c:\filename.mcx

Hi JGirl

have you tried closing the application object twice via the macro ?

objimpapp.quit
objimpapp.quit

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far - although I think I need to re-qualify what I'm looking for.

I haven't tried closing the app twice in the macro, because this is a problem with the impromptu application itself, and I don't consider it to be an appropriate solution. Although im sure quitting the application twice in the macro would probably make the problem go away, it is only a band-aid solution and doesnt identify the cause of why the imp app is behaving strangely in the first place.

What i'm looking for is the cause of WHY the IMPROMPTU app needs to be closed twice, rather than how to dodge around it in the macro.

JGirl

This problem is only happening with certain catalogs (not all of them, and of course not the great outdoors)

As you have already mentioned this may be a problem with some of your catalogs rather than the Impromptu application itself. what are the differences (if any) between these catalogs and other catalogs.

Have you tried recreating an affected catalog to see if the problem still occurs.

Is the problem only with a single datasource or all datasources ?

Do the affected catalogs use the same security models as unaffected models- users / user classes etc..

Is upgrading to a newer version an option ?

Sorry I can't give more specific help.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

Hi,

The catalogs are enormous (over 500 tables) and so i really dont want to have to recreate.

Affected catalogs use impromptu security (no access manager).

The problem occurs across multiple versions and platforms.

J

JGirl,
This sounds like a problem I ran into a few years ago. Do the macro files have the same name as the report files and are they in the same directory? For example report1.imr and report1.mcx. If so you have to give the macro a different name. You could name it report1mac.mcx or something like that, it doesn't matter as long as it's different. Here's what happens: When you open a report, it looks in the same directory for a macro with the same name. If it finds it, it runs it. What was happening to us was that we would run the macro, the macro would open the report, and this would cause the macro to run a second time. The second run of the macro would fail when it tried to open a report that was already open, but a second instance of impromptu was left open. We solved it by naming the macros different from the reports. This is just one of many things that irks me about the way Cognos does things. Another example is that, when you run an .mcx, if there is a .mac file with the same name it will recompile first! I imagine that they think they are being very clever and useful with these kinds of quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back