Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to change SubNet Mask with NIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aterockz

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
DE
Hi,

I have serveral solaris server who's netmasks need to be reconfigured. It will change from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.192

What I read is that You need to set a file named defaulroute ?! (not sure) otherwise the SUBnetmask will change back to 255.255.255.0 after reboot. Is that true ?
What needs to be configured in that file (if it is necessary).
Further I want to minimize the downtime during the reconfiguration. As far as I know I need to run the network interface down, reconfigure it and let it come up.

Is a reconfiguration remote possible (with an dterm on remote connection) in a single commandline ?
for ex.
ifconfig hme0 down; set mask; ifconfig hme0 up

something like that ... would that work ?

All machines are using NIS. What is necessary to Reconfigure NIS for the different subnet mask ?

Thanks for Your help...
(any advice is welcome)

You will certainly need to modify /etc/netmasks

/etc/defaultrouter is only used to set the default network gateway. If left unset it will try to work it out for itself.

You also shouldnt need to down the interface, just...

ifconfig hme0 netmask 255.255.255.192

...will do it on the fly. However, make sure you have a console connection to every box before you do this, otherwise you could loose the box with no hope of rescuing it. Not good (tm).

With NIS you will also need to change the netmask table as per the /etc/netmasks file.

N.

It worked very easy.
Thanks for the good hints.

Ate RocKz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back