Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to change service accts in EM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemel

MIS
Oct 17, 2005
US
Hi,

I need to change the "startup service account" for one of my instances.

I go to:

EM, right-click on server name > properties > security tab

But the section "startup service account" is all grayed out and I can't select the radio button, or add the name of the new domain acct.

My understanding that it's a bad idea to change the service account from windows "services"... that you should only use EM to change service accounts, see below:

“If you want to change the service account used by the SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services, you must use the SQL Server Enterprise Manager to ensure proper functioning of these SQL Server services and SQL Server 2000… this ensures that the proper permissions are set in the NTFS file system and in the Windows registry for this new service account… also ensures this service account is granted the following user privileges: log on as a service, lock pages in memory, and enable trusted delegation… is required for the proper use and administration of the Microsoft search service.”

So, if I can't change it in EM, what am I supposed to do?

Thanks

yes, it was a permissions problem, thanks

I have a named instance of sql2003 running on XP and I used EM to change the Startup Service account from "System account" to the login and password that I use to start up the XP. The prompt said that window text search may not be available if I proceed. I said ok and then sqlserver stoped and restarted.

Now I cannot connect using the Windows Authenticaqtion connection in EM that I used to change the startup service account. So I tried to use SQL Server Authentication and put in my XP user and password. No luck.

Clearly I have no idea what I am doing.

All help appreciated

Oakgrove Computer Grouper
Lansing, MI

I have a named instance of sql2003 running on XP and I used EM to change the Startup Service account from "System account" to the login and password that I use to start up the XP. The prompt said that window text search may not be available if I proceed. I said ok and then sqlserver stoped and restarted.

Now I cannot connect using the Windows Authenticaqtion connection in EM that I used to change the startup service account. So I tried to use SQL Server Authentication and put in my XP user and password. No luck.

Clearly I have no idea what I am doing.

All help appreciated

Lansing, MI

There's no such thing as sql2003.

Click Start->Run
Type services.msc

check to see if there is a MSSQLSERVER$[red]InstanceName[/red] service.

If there is, you're running SQL2000. Verify that the service is started. If it's not, then right click and start the service. If it fails to start, then right click -> properties. There should be a 'log on' tab. If all else fails, try changing the 'log on as' to 'local system account'

If you don't see the MSSQLSERVER service, then you are probably running sql2005. In that case, there should be a service named SQL Server ([red]InstanceName[/red]). If the service is not started, then right click -> start. If it fails to start, right click -> properties. Check the 'log on' to see the account used to start the service. Try setting the 'log on as' to 'Local System Accout'.

If these steps still fail, then there should be information regarding the problem in event viewer.

Click start->run
type eventvwr.msc

In the Application section, you should see error messages regarding SQL Server (or MSSQLSERVER). Try looking up the error message using google, or the microsoft website. If you continue to have problems, post back here with more information.

Good luck.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Of course it is sql2000 that I am working with.
In the services list I do not find MSSQLSERVER$instancename but what I do find is just
MSSQLSERVER

I did right click and reset "log on as" to "localSystem Account'

This worked and I can now connect using EM using the instance name.

Thank you very much.
Don't know why the insance name doesnt' show up in the services list?

Lansing, MI

You must be using a default instance. Default instances show as simply MSSQLSERVER.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back