Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to bypass Administrator Password! Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith1199

Technical User
Jul 9, 2003
US
Our office manager was fired, and I have taken over her position. She did not remove her Administrator Password before leaving, and I have no idea what it is, so I cannot access records that I need. I am not skilled in computer programming, so I don't know how to get around this password, and change it. The URGENT part is this....Her husband still works for our company, and since she still has the password, she could come in after hours and really mess things up! I could lose my job, because it would seem as though it was ME who had done whatever she decides to do. It's just a matter of time before something like this happens, so I need help ASAP to get her out of my computer, and keep her out!

Have a look in the FAQ section of this forum.

The simplest method is to aquire a copy of NTFSDOS pro and boot the system with an NTFSDOS Pro Boot Disk then change directories to system32 and run the following commands
Copy cmd.exe to logon.scr
E.G.
C:\winnt\system32>copy cmd.exe logon.scr

next remove the boot disk and restart the system let the system sit at the logon prompt undisturbed until the deafult screen saver executes.

when the default screen saver executes you will have access to a command prompt with Admin rights use NET USER to change the administrator password
E.G.
C:\>net user administrator Your_new_Password

you should then be able to access the system

And after you change the administrator password, act like you didn't. install a security camera pointing at the server. Go to the husband asking him if he knows the password so you can change it.. Hoping that they will try and do something, you will have evidence that they are trying to tamper with it and bust them.

if this is w2k with sp2 or greater and you have an xp cd you can boot using the xp cd and get to the recovery console without being prompted for the admin password. once there type setpwd and press enter. type the new password and give that a shot.

There is an ISO that can be downloaded, which when burned onto cd allows you to boot a 2000 server in Linux mode. It allows you to change the Administrator password to whatever you want? I've used it a few times when I was in a fix like you. The Only problem is I cannot think of the web site where I got it. But I do have it at home and I can send it onto you on Monday.

Just email me at nobber@beer.com

Noberirl

When you log on, does it prompt you for a username, password and DOMAIN (Log on to:) ? If so, then you could have the local password reset by a domain administrator.

Just a thought.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

mojocream,

not when you use windows xp cd on a w2k system to get to it. It is a flaw in the system that allows you access to the recovery console without prompting for a password. i have done it before and it works

Wow! plenty of messages here to bybass that sucerk..

talk about secure..

Noberirl, nice email address

the suggestions are only possable if you have physical access to the computer
(lock you server room)
so it is secure

Hmmm i could use this information at my office, we often have this same problem.

Thanks
Jason

If the machine is a domain member, you can access the local users and groups remotely and change the administrator password. You will need to be logged on as a domain admin, but it will work.

best_thread_ever.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back