Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to be able to write a report based on Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtisgreat

Vendor
May 3, 2001
US
Hi, I have been writing Crystal reports XI reports against Outlook for a few years. I have developed a very sophisticated workflows using Outlook Tasks. I have developed nice tools that pull metrics from milestones, etc from the tasks. Unfortunately, I have run into a size limit on the tasks created in Outlook, and need to archive these to a PST file. I'd like to be able to modify my reports now to access both the non-archived tasks as well as the archived tasks in PSTs. Anybody done this?

Thanks

Not specifically with Outlook, but I do use archived tables. In order to access fields from both tables, I use a command with a Union All as my sole datasource. I would think this would be the answer in your case as well. Are you familiar with using commands and union all?

-LB

Thanks for your quick response, Linda. The problem is not so much the mechanism (Union would work fine), but the access to the Outlook data source. I can see only active tasks available. Not sure how to "point" to the PST file.

Hi,
From what I can find, accessing .PST files from something like Crystal may not be possible...Before archiving, it may be better to export them, if possible, in CSV format ( or some other format that CR can handle) and use that instead.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

OK, I have been able to access a PST datasource. In theory, I should be able to create a UNION as LB suggests. Unfortunately, the Outlook datasource types do not support SQL Expressions. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back