Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to add a character to a string 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvannoy

MIS
May 4, 2001
US
I am having problems inserting records into my sql server. the problem is the customers name may have an ' eg..Bob's

thats where I get stuck. I need to replace that character with a " or I would really like to get rid of it all together. this field is being populated from a linked server connected to an AS400. also this field is a locked field that users cannot change. so this would have to be automated.

any help would be appreciated

you can use a replace(MyString, "'", "''") on your sql statement and it will work fine.

OK, so on my INSERT statement.

where would I use the replace ?? inside the insert or after?? eg.. "INSERT INTO Cust (field1) VALUES(txttext1.text)"

where would it go?

Thanks

here:

sql="INSERT INTO Cust (field1) VALUES('" & _
replace(txttext1.text,"'","''") & "')"

tryp

dvannoy,

I recommend STRONGLY against using the above code as it can introduce a horrible security risk with SQL Server, please imagine what would happen if somone typed in "sp_execute(truncate table Cust)" command into your textbox, or worse! SQL Server will let you pass through commands to the command processor on the server... and they could add themselves as a user.. or delete files or whatever they wanted to do!

The proper way to deal with the problem you are having is to use the command object and create parameters to it. This solution is MUCH faster (especially when executing multiple times) and MUCH more secure.

-recurse

Thank you for your concern but the text box that the above code affects is locked. users cannot edit that text box at all. this is a simple INSERT statement thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back