Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need tips for building intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrow314

MIS
Apr 10, 2000
US
I'm working on our corporate intranet and would like to be able to link to executable files.  I can create the link but it acts as if it is downloading a file.  All I want to do is launch the executable.  Any ideas or can this be done at all?

ahha

Exactly the problem I am having at the moment I want to link to the adobe acrobat reader setup file but it comes up with the do you wish to download message.

I am thinking at the moment that there is an attribute that can be added to the link. If I find a solution I will post it here.......

I also have done the same thing with the intranet. and acctually I have laoded all our software onto the web site. So now I never need any CD's
Here is what to do.
1. make a shortcut to the setup.exe file. make it in your webserver somewhere.
2. create the link to that shorcut instead of directly to the setup.exe file.

anyway hope it works for you, it did for me. Let me know if it doesnt'

Client must have access rights to the shortcut folder and the folder with the install files in it

I have a directory in my inetput folder named shortcuts. this is where I store all mine. as I have all my company software on the website, for easy instalations..

very great tool. you can also put on support items such as "user & server manager for domains" and specify which server (right in the link) Lot of kewl stuff to do with Comapny intranets...

have fun

Lvweb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back