Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Third Party Database Support 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US

I have been struggling with some type of corruption in our database.

I have tried all of the easy fixes and I just can't get this thing to correct.

Does anyone know of a reliable company that can review the database and help me correct the problems that it has?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Mitchy,

What problems do you have? There may be somebody who can assist here...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

A while back, I made a copy of the database and created some new forms and reports which I proceeded to copy into the working database. I have done this many times with no bad results. However, something about this time created numerous problems. I think the problem is in the forms/reports. When I try and run some of these, I get a message about a lost network connection. I tried to copy everything over into a new db but the problems move also. I tried repair, compact and decompile to no avail.

I am no expert in programming but I am willing to try anything. My next thoughts are to transfer the tables and queries and then recreate the forms and reports. This sounds like a slow process and without some type of assurance that it will solve the problem, I hate to invest the effort.

Basically, I am looking for a better solution. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks for your help,

Hi

Usually the problem lies somewhere in the data..have a manual look through your data tables and see if you can spot any "odd" looking characters and delete them..

try compact and repair...

try using "jetcomp.exe" it does a better compact and repair, search google for jetcomp and you should get a copy somewhere.

Importing corrupt database can be tough..

Might be an idea to export just the table definitions into a new database , export the existing data tio flat files then write some code to import the data from the flat files. this should avoid "copying" the corruption...

Hope this helps!

Regards

BuilderSpec

Where have all our previous posts gone to?!

Ed Metcalfe.

Someone must have red-flagged them (I guess they don't want any collaboration done through the site?). I didn't see any problem with what was posted, and thought it was nice of Ed to offer so much help!

Anyways, I would suggest one of you using a tool like this: to convert your email address to binary, and pass along to the other. Then you can be in touch that way, without fear of anyone deleting your communications.

good luck Mitchy!

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

It's not the first time I've had post deleting for telling somebody *not* to post their email address!

Ed Metcalfe.

Shame on you for offering to go the extra mile Ed ;-)

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Mitchy,

Offer still stands - if you can find a way of getting the file to me I'm happy to do what I can.

I'm trying to think of a way of securing it for transfer but still being able to share the necessary password for decrypting it once I've received it. If it's not a particularly sensitive database you could upload it to and post the link to it here.

Ed Metcalfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back