Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need switch recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpmace

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
US
We are in the market to buy some new switches. I need 48 ports and VLAN capability for a rather simple stand-alone LAN. Right now I'm looking at 3Com, HP and Cisco. I have great experiences with Cisco but they are kinda pricey and would prefer something a little less expensive. I'd like to get some real-world reviews from the 3Com and HP user base. What are some of your experiences?

thanks!

An addendum to the above: If you don't need/want to pay for gigabit to the desktop, the HP 2650 (48 10/100 ports + 2 10/100/1000 dual personality ports) is what you're looking for.

Since you noted you're price sensative, this is probably your best bet. The 2848 retails at $3,983.47, while the 2650 retails at $1,121.29 (prices from HP's website.)

I have had good luck with the HP and they have the same support as the 3com as far as replacement for a lifetime. I used to work for 3com their support has not been great since the overhaul, reps are hard to get to and the support is not to responsive. HP is in our core and edge they are working great and run forever the support for them is good but watch the bandwith on the backplane it sometimes boggs on high load but they can handle alot.

I'd go with the 2650, superb piece of kit for the cost.

Will do everything you want and more, and a bonus, if you can configure Cisco, you can configure HP.

Personally, I hate 3COM. Can't do much with them once installed.

Anyone have an opinion or experience with Dell's PowerConnect switches? They're a lot cheaper than anything out there.

I recently bought 2 3COM 4300's. I LOVE them! They both support our Data Center with fiber gig to a 4900 and I couldn't ask for anything better.

OK, I DID get something better - I got them on the used market so I saved some $$

Contact me if you want a recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back