Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opensky

Technical User
Aug 9, 2001
PK
I am thinking to install Redhat 7.1 at one of my server with following configuration:

IBM NetFinity 5000 450Mhz dual processor
9x4 GB SCSI HDD
512MB RAM

Please suggest. Is Redhat 7.1 will work fine on this server and what else I should need to know prior to install?

I do install Redhat 7.1 at my desktop PC which is working fine

Hi,
I guess will work fine.
See RH 7.2 , has new options, ext3 and others.

dan@digisoft.ro

We have RH7.1 installed on a netfinity 7100, and installed and is working without any hassles... give it a try...

the netfinity 5000 was being sold from the RH online store... seems strange that they would sell hardware that did not work with their distro... give it a try I say... AV
tnedor@yahoo.com

Did this post help? Click below to let me know.

Hi,

Redhat's official hardware compatibility list is at --> . As hinted in DanNedelcu's post, it might be a better choice to use 7.2 because of the ext3 support. Being a journalled filesystem, (ext2 + journal really) you do not need the fsck on boot which can be a big pain if it decides to force a fsck due to the mount count. See --> .

Regards

Thanks all of you.
Your reply boost my confidence. I will try this in a few days :)

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back