Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need suggestions re new motherboard/CPU 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercie

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
Motherboard died & needs replacing. First time installing a motherboard so I would appreciate any suggestions. Have always used Asus before (the dead one is P4SDX) but am open to any suggestions. Would like to upgrade the CPU as well (currently P4 2.4) and upgrade memory to DDR2 1GB (currently 1536mb PC2700). Would like to keep it between $200-$300 for MB & CPU (if it's possible). This particular computer is not used for gaming, nor do I need overclocking (truthfully, no idea what it is but I searched the forum and saw references to it) - just plain vanilla lots of internet research and a little bit of Photoshop. Would like to keep the following since they all work fine & the budget doesn't spread that far!

OS - WinXP Pro
Case - I believe it's referred to as a Mid-tower
PSU - Mad Dog SurePower 450W (new)
HD - 2 IDE drives - both Maxtor 120 GB (really need to keep these)
DVD - Memorex 16x-DDL-IN
Floppy Drive (I know, from the stone age but need to keep for now)
Graphics - nVidea 3D Fuzion GeForce FX 5500 AGP 256mb (really would like to keep - fairly new)
Sound - Mad Dog 4.1 DSP 4 channel (PCI)
Monitor - 19" which works great
Printer & Scanner also
Current Memory - Kingston 1536 mb but would like to upgrade to DDR2 (can transfer this memory to another computer so nothing is lost)

Have always purchased parts locally (Frys, MicroCenter, BestBuys) but if mail order is the way to go, please suggest who is good - I would guess mail order would be cheaper but is the customer service good?

I have to go out of town later tonight & will be back Monday but in the meantime would REALLY appreciate any suggestions. If you need any more info, I'll check back before I leave and provide it. Thanks in advance!

Think you might have to consider a new vid card
don't believe there would be any ddr2 motherboards
that support agp

MadDog psu is a 20 pin atx most new motherboards require
24 pin atx 2.0 power supply

I think your best option would be to purchase second hand
agp board most of your hardware is not suited for newer
platforms.

Take a look here:

thread602-1404394

The Biostar board has AGP support, 20-pin power, DDR2. I built this whole PC including case and card reader for $300. If I were to do it again I would spend more on the CPU, like a 5000+. It's really quite a good budget machine, plus you get dual core!

My caveat would be the P4 2.4 is a heckuva processor, a real speedy workhorse, and if you don't get a better CPU than I did you might be unhappy. BTW I really LOVE the case!

Tony

AGP is being surpassed by PCI express, so I would opt for multiple x16 PCI express slots. and If you are buting a new systemboard look into DDR3 and onboard sata1, 2, 3, controllers.

mercie said:
Graphics - nVidea 3D Fuzion GeForce FX 5500 AGP 256mb (really would like to keep - fairly new)

Yes, PCI-e is the new GFX platform, but DDR3 is the new memory platform. Changing platforms is a significant expense and I don't think mercie's ready, as (s)he would also need to change PSU, MB, CPU, RAM, GFX...basically just keeping the case.

AGP still has some life in fact the ATI X1950 is a dang good card and it's available in AGP. I think upgrades are a balance of performance vs. budget. I don't think this member will be disappointed with the choices above, with the limited budget available. The real world of budget also figures prominently into any upgrade plan.

The board mentioned above will take a AM2+ Phenom processor, so it will have some longevity and an upgrade path.

Tony

Tony

mercie,

You mentioned that this machine isn't used for gaming. If that is the case, you could get a motherboard with onboard video and a PCI Express 16x slot for future expansion. That way, you could get a newer board with newer features without having to upgrade the video card just yet - of course, your old video card will be useless in this type setup.

Also, many of the 24 pin motherboards do not REQUIRE a 24 pin PSU. You may be fine with your current 20 pin PSU - especially if you have a 20 to 24 pin adapter.

As far as wanting to use both your IDE hard drives, and I'm assuming without looking IDE Optical drive(s), that will be a little tougher to find. It seems most new boards only have one IDE connection.

This search on NewEgg might give you some good results:
NewEgg Mobo Search

For instance, here is an Asus board that might meet your needs (it's a Micro ATX case, so it won't have as many expansion slots):
NewEgg - Asus Mobo
- it's an open box, but it's only $43 + SH right now..

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

My caveat would be the P4 2.4 is a heckuva processor, a real speedy workhorse, and if you don't get a better CPU than I did you might be unhappy.

I wouldn't go that far. Any of the current dual core CPUs (Athlon X2, Core 2 Duo) are going to run circles around the P4 2.4 GHz.

I'd agree with kmcferrin on the current dual cores versus the P4. Even the Athlon 64 (not dual core) CPUS will outperform the P4 processors generally - assuming we're not talking P4D CPUs - but I'd still think the Athlon 64 a better CPU than the P4Ds.

Another option (I know you probably don't so many, but there really are a lot of options) is to go with a "Pentium Dual Core" CPU. You could get one of those, and a low to midstream motherboard all within the $200 to $300 price range you're talking about, and they are built on the same structure as the king line Core 2 Duos - now Quads:

Here's an article along these lines:

--

Any of the current dual core CPUs (Athlon X2, Core 2 Duo) are going to run circles around the P4 2.4 GHz.

I have a socket 478 P4 2.4 w/ 1 GB RAM in an Intel board and it is one snappy machine. The parts I listed above are simply not as fast, for general office and browsing, according to my experience. Now I did not run any benchmarks, just based on "feel". The P4 machine "feels" faster, which usually means it is. I just wish I had bought a faster AM2 CPU.

And good luck finding a Core 2 Duo motherboard that supports AGP.

Tony

This looks like the answer to all of your wishes.

2 X IDE133 for up to 4X IDE devices (so enough for both your hard drives and DVD writer.
AGP or PCIe: so you can use your FX5500

Core2 Duo/Core2 Quad and lots more

DDR400 as well as DDRII 667 support (one or the other)
It is a cheap and reliable board that will offer you the easiest of upgrade routes on your wallet.

Martin
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Also, but I think I'd probably go with the Asrock based on features.

Right now I'm on a Xeon 2.4 GHz with 1GB of RAM, and my old Athlon64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM ran circles around this box. Even my Core 2 1.8 GHz laptop with 2 GB and running Vista (resource hog that it is) seems faster than this workstation, and definitely benchmarks faster in non-disk related tests.

PCI-E and AGP on the same board! Way to go Martin!!! Never seen that before. Brilliant!

I wasn't looking for that board, but I must say it is some find! That would probably be the perfect board for many an upgrader!

Pinky to papa! [wink]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back