Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need String Func. to find first instance of " " and order by next char 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dor100

Technical User
Apr 9, 2001
US

I need a function to use in a query which would be similar to the Mid function (but Mid won't work here). Instead of telling the function how many characters to count, I need it to simply find the first instance of a blank space " " and then I intend to order query output by the next character, like this:

ORDER BY Function(FirstName Last Name)

The goal is to be able to order by last name for a table that has only first name/last name combinations in one field instead of two.

InStr(StrVariable, " ")

If StrVariable is a concatenation of First and Last Names, assuming the First Name has no spaces, then the above will return the character position of the space between the names.

EastWind
[infinity]

Try:
[tt]ORDER BY Mid([FirstName Last Name], InStr([FirstName Last Name], " ") + 1)[/tt]

I want to thank both of you for two excellent answers. I knew it had to be there. ByteMyzer's syntax has worked superbly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back