Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some quick help on networking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusifx

Programmer
Apr 6, 2003
US
I have a home network set up in my house with 4 PC (two window xp pro, one window me, one linux). they are all under the same workgroup name "home". all their ip address are different from 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.9 and all of them have share files. my window me is connected to the main router, my two window xp pro are connected to a switch that is connected to the router.

now my two window xp can see each other and share files, but the window me one is no where to be found. i can not even access the network with the window me pc....when i check my router, it said there is only one attached pc, and it's the window me one.

what am i doing wrong? how come i can't see the window me pc?

try some tests on the ME machine -

the command "ipconfig /all" will show you what IP it's been given - if it's not in the 192.168.0.x range, either DHCP isn't working or the DHCP server isn't connecting to the WinME machine.

assuming the ME machine has a valid IP, try pinging the loopback ip ("ping 127.0.0.1"), it's own ip ("ping 192.168.0.x"), the IP of the router, the IP of one of the PCs on the local network, then a web IP (if it's on the internet.)

also, try pinging different parts of your network from the XP machines.

you basically need to determine if it's physical (i.e. one of the network cables is dead) or a software issue.

posting the results of &quot;ipconfig /all&quot; (from the ME machine) and the results of pinging will help. <marc>[ul]help us help![li]please give us feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

YES...i did try that....all my pc can ping each other and the router, and they can all get online which means they can ping
this is what confuse me.....if it can ping each other on the network, how come the router only see the window 98 pc as the only device that's attached....and this window 98 pc can not access the network even....but all my pc can get online sharing that router???

Why the window Me is connected to the router? They all should connected to the switch instead of having one connected to the router. The router is used for WAN, not for LAN.

My router is all the way in the living room, so i only have one cable link to my room. I have 3 PCs in my room, so i got a switch to split up the line. I really don't think that shuld cause any problems tho....(hope not)

have you installed &quot;client for microsoft networks&quot; on your win98 machine?
Right click network neighbourhood --> properties --> add --> client --> microsoft --> client for microsoft networks.

btw, re: your router - I'm assuming it's an integrated router / 4 port switch... updating the router's firmware rarely hurts.

good luck.

<marc>[ul]help us help![li]please give us feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Have a similar situation with a friend of mine.
We did a google search on XP and ME. Thousands of hits about connections. We were going circle back and forth about TCP/IP setting. We put a Win98 PC for a test, no problem between the XP and Win98. We end up adding IPX on the PC's, in order to see everyone.

good luck!

I am betting that the reason he can see the Me machine in the router tables is that it is the only DHCP addressed client.

I am also betting that the default IP of the router and the Me client is in a different subnet than the static IP assinged XP boxes.

The static XPs will not appear in the DHCP table of the router, and will access the internet because they are on the router's switch.

If all clients were DHCP assigned addresses, or the XP static IPs were changed to 192.168.1.5 -- 192.168.1.9 they would all appear on the same network and still have internet access.

ok.....i finally figur out what happen....turns out all my settings were correct, but on my XPs i installed norton internet security. i set up the network in that software saying that i have 4 PCs in my network with ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.5 but it still didn't work, so i just disable the firewall and everything works now.

thanx for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back