Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some other AV softwre... What's your input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmic

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
CA
I've been using symantec antivirus corporate and norton retail for the longest time and I find that it's just not doing the job anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't think i've been doing anything wrong but it doesn't seem to be catching as many viruses. Just this morning, brand new toshiba laptop, hit a site redirector, got hammered with a virus and norton 2005 just sat there, no notification, nothing. I DL'ed AVG, scanned and sure enuf, virus found...

Lately i've been running AVG free side by side with symantec and avg is more active, catches pretty much everything. I've done scans with a new install of AVG where norton/symantec has been running for a while, and the systems were full of viruses or remnants of viruses. I know, I know, any virus will remove registry rights for whatever antivirus you have...

Many of my clients are getting ticked at this to say the least. and my trust level is going down.

What does everyone here use? What's the hit rate? Are you confident in it? I need a good corporate software or a decent overall antivirus system. Has anyone here bought the corp version of AVG?

Would appreciate your input, thanks.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

I put in my vote for Computer Associates ETrust. I have had great success over the years and although they do not officially endorse it, Microsoft does use it on their own corporate network.

hmmm... I'll check into those.

The one thing I like about symantec is the stability of the corporate software, and the fact that it doesn't kill the system with background scanning, are others as good? As in overhead?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

My organization is in the process of switching from AVG 7 Enterprise to Sophos Enterprise. Our testing shows us that comparted to AVG the scanner is more lightweight (particularly on XP/2000/2003), the enterprise features more robust, and the updates to both virus definitions and software more often.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Symantec actually has about the worst overhead you could have from an antivirus product..

AVG's product is pretty nice, if you know how to set it up.

For the price, AVG was about the best we could garner. BitDefender was going to cost us about $40k for our 200 computer non-profit company. Trend Micro was up there, AVG was gonna cost us $4k every other year.

We've read reports where CA just isn't cutting it anyone as far as efficiency and detection rate. They aren't where we want them to be to continue doing business with them. We are currently using InoculateIT 6.0 which is being End of Life'd in September 2005.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I have thoroughly enjoyed using Sophos. Very rarely does anything get past it. Their tech support is excellent.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Just to throw a Spanner in the works. We've been using Sophos for a few years now and have found it more and more, it nails certain pc's for no obvious reason (cpu 99% for up to 15 minutes). However we are starting to roll out Remote Update and that doesn't seem to have the same issues. However on Sophos' defence, they are working well with us to find the cause.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back