Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some LinkSys Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGrafix

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
I recently started using Comcast's free McAfee Security Firewall and Anti-Virus, and I've been pulling my hair out ever since. Whether it was my mistake or whatever, I'm committed to using it and I'd like to get this fixed.

My home network runs on a 54G v.2.0 LinkSys router with the latest firmware, and my PCs are hard wired, and my notebook and PDA go wireless. All machines are accessing the net, just not talking too each other. The PCs are W2K Pro, the Laptop is XP Pro, and my PDA is WM5.

I have a LinkSys 3-port wired print server and I have two printers connected to P1 (laserjet) and P2 (deskjet). I had two seperate chat sessions with LinkSys this past weekend, and they were not that helpful. I got the impression that they were looking up stuff in a knowledge base and feeding it to me, but nothing worked... we could not install the printers.

All I want is the ability to move files from machine A to machine B and vice versa, and to be able to print from at least my main PC if not any PC on the network. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

My print server shows up using the LinkSys Print Server Management Utility, but I can't see the printers. My network has a unique name and it shows up in Explorer or My Computer, but when I try to install a "Local" or "Network" printer, it can't find the print server or the printer connected to it. Should I be able to use the LinkSys utility to add a printer properly, or how would I go about installing a printer because when I try now, it can't find anything.

I tried deleting as many ports as possible, and then tried to reinstall the printer(s) but no dice. So as I see it, I have two (2) major issues:

1. I think I shgould only have my uniquely-named (like BlaNET) network and not an additional place called "workgroup". If this is correct, how do I delete or eliminate the workgroup and get by with BlaNET. How I do this is a mystery to me,

2. I'd like to install both my printers as accessible from at least this PC if not my notebook (wireless) and my wife's desktop (wired).

I'm hoping someone here has gone through a similar process and is willing to spend some time giving me tasks to try so we can get to the bottom of the matter. Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike --

I run a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with wireless 3Com Print Server, multiple wireless (2000 and XP) clients protected using ZoneAlarm and a WM5 PDAPhone so I might be able to offer a few hints.
<caveat>The following is based on my resolutions for similar problems</caveat>

1. The "Workgroup" network place you are seeing is the default Workgroup used by more recent versions of Windows. This can be changed on the individual machines using these instructions.

2. Inability to see other machines may be down to your software firewalls - can you see any machines within your workgroup (BlaNET). You can establish this by (temporarily) disabling your software firewalls on 2 machines (assuming that your router firewall is active and configured correctly for protection while testing this) or by checking the firewall logs.

3. File Sharing between clients: there's some useful guidelines provided by Microsoft and by our very own TekTips: thread581-1201334

4. Printers: I configured my print server to collect a static IP address from my router, and used IP based printing to install and configure it. I'd suggest resolving client networking issues before retrying the installation of the printers as this may be a symptom of other issues.

5. For your WM5 PDA to access network shares / files you will probably need a better file explorer: I use freeware TotalCommander but I've also heard good things about Resco Explorer (licence required).

NB: I can't be more specific about printing and firewall problem resolution at the moment as I'm at work. The above should help you iron out some of the problems you are having and I should be able to assist further from home if required.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Hey Tazuk...

Thanks for the help. I was able to rename the network per your link/instructions and after rebooting it shows up with the correct name. But... I still can't communicate between machines. In the McAfee firewall software, I included the IP addresses of both wired machines sitting here in front of me. Both can access the net just fine, both show the name of the network, but even though the firewall includes their IPs, they will not communicate. I keep getting a message that "blaNET" is not available.

Lets try to take this one step at a time. Maybe once I get the PCs talking to each other again, then I can try and get my printers installed so they work.

BTW, my son set up the basic LinkSys security so I'm not broadcasting... is that a factor here?

Mike

The security on your router should not be a factor in this. I run my router with WPA encryption, broadcast disabled and MAC filtering without affecting my network.

Re-reading your original post it sounds as though networking was working correctly before you started using the McAfee Firewall. Is that the case?

If you are using the McAfee firewall on the XP Pro machine, can you confirm that the built in XP firewall is disabled please.

I'm still inclined to think that configuration of the McAfee firewall is the key at the moment - it certainly ZA causing some of my issues. Were / Are you able to run the test I suggested as (2) in my original reply?

HTH

TazUk

My XP Pro laptop is currently at work, not home. I'll have it home this weekend. I disabled the firewall on the two side-by-side machines (both of them) and still cannot see one from the other, yet both are functioning OK other than that. Both these machines are running W2K Pro, so I don't have a XP machine currently in the network.

And yes... networking, sharing files, and printing was working pretty smoothly prior to the McAfee install and subsequent security setup on the LinkSys. I think he said we were using 64-bit encryption because PDAs don't work well with 128.

Ok so we can ignore the software firewalls as issues for the moment - I'd suggest reactivating them now we know the state of play there.

Turning to the router (and some more questions..):
1. Do you have a full model number to hand?
2. Are you using DHCP or static IPs?
3. Can you see all your machines in the DHCP clients list?
(I think Linksys have this display option under the Administration or Status menus)

I'm trying to remember how I got my network running smoothly with my current router - I'll need to check my ZoneAlarm configuration when I get home later today before posting further.

TazUk

Got access to my laptop now as I had to nip out from work to grab it for it's many weird and wonderful development utilities lol.
Looking at my (free) ZoneAlarm configuration it seems I had to add my router IP address into ZA's "Trusted Zone" to enable Netbios. If memory serves I used ZA Pro's Expert Rules to permit Netbios traffic with the network for my desktop. I suspect you may need to do something similar with McAfee, but YMMV..

HTH

TazUk

I'm at work now... so I can't try anything, but the router is a WRT54G v.2.0 wireless router with the latest firmware flashed. When I was checking that the IP addresses for both desktops was correctly entered in trusted IPs, I noticed the first line which was an IP installed by the system or something like that. What was weird was that the number ranges did not jive with either the pcs or the IP that I think serves the print server.

Just a dumb (related) question; when you install a new printer with a hard-wired print server, you have a choice of a local printer or a network printer... which should you use?

And one other minor question; when you set up a network like blaNET, you are asked whether it's a home (network?) or a business network? Which should you choose?

Questions, Questions. It's going to work sooner or later. :)

Mike

It's going to work sooner or later
That's the spirit! ;-)

1. Network printer
2. Home network unless you have a server and domain

TazUk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back