Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some info on SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSTRJD

MIS
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have a requirement in which the reports are to be integrated into the corporate web portal and don't want to use microstrategy web.I did some research and found out that by using SDK and Portal integration kit we can achieve this objective.
Since I have worked only on microstrategy Desktop and microstrategy web and don't have a expert level knowledge in Java or .net,I would like to know how much complexity is involved in it.
Any suggestions or advice on this will be very helpful.

Thanks.

The easiest way is just to use an IFRAME to display a MSTR Web page into the portal. If you absolutely can't use Web, you'll have to do some Java coding.

What portal server are you using?

Thanks for your response.

We are using BEA Weblogic.In order to satisfy a requirement we will be having a column on the report which is of URL format clicking on which will launch a document under that URL.

as far my understanding goes IFRAME is like another application calling these documents in our portal server and this will ask for login and password.so we are thinking of integrating the reports in the portal itself so that users are not asked for authentication.

Please throw some light on this if you are familiar with this type of situation.

Thanks.

you can't integrate reports into a portal without somehow authenticating against Intelligence Server; either way you will need to configure an MSTR user to run the reports.

I suggest reading the "Using URL API to Display MicroStrategy Content in the Portal Page" help page in the SDK. in this case the IFRAME is pulling a MSTR Web page into your Weblogic Portal page. if you still have questions after that, I can give you a hand.

Hi mizh,

once again thanks for your kind response.

I was going through the Portal integration kit FAQ's and I found this as one of the functionality:

'Ability to seamlessly logon to microstrategy platform'.

I am assuming this means that the users can provide username and password only once when they login into the portal and need not have to provide username and password to execute the microstrategy report integrated in the portal.Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Now with in the portal, a report has a column called "document path" which is basically a Varchar datatype in the database table but are displyed as 'URL' on the report.when the users click on this URL in the report it will direct them to another page in the portal which contains a document.This page is secure and it will ask for username and password which is not desirable.
Can we by pass this login page using IFRAME or should we have to work with java code using SDK?

I hope you understand what i am trying to explain!

You would still need to use the External Security Mechanism (in the SDK) and do some java coding, or pass user/pass via URL API within the IFRAME. The process is not magic -- the login credentials need to be passed to Intelligence Server somehow, whether it's through user interaction or through Java code.

I'm confused about your requirements. When you say 'another page in the portal which contains a document', is this a MSTR HTML Document object? or a Word doc? Is the initial report that displays the "document path" column a MSTR Report or custom code?

Mizh,

Now i have the SDK installed on my computer.I am completely new to it.can you please help me how to get started?
The first task for me is to able to connect to the Intelligence server and then display the project and finally the reports under it from the corporate portal itself with out launching microstrategy web seprately.
our portal server is BEA Weblogic.

Thanks

Read the SDK documentation for 'Portal Integration Kit'. That'll get you on your way.

I strong suggest using the IFRAME Implementation (Type A).

Mizh,

Thanks.going through the documentation.

MSTRJD,
Did you get a chance to figure out on incorporating PIK.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back