Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help with IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoTons

Technical User
Mar 11, 2006
US

This is the setup I am using right now. I have a Cisco 1600 router two 48port hp procure 2650 and a windows 2000 server running DHCP.

Internally I am running an addressing scheme of
192.168.0.x
255.255.255.0 I am all most out.

I would like to be able to divide the address into 3 groups if i can but not sure how to do it. because my boss wants to be bale to see all of them from the network.

I was thinking of changing our subnetting to
192.168.x.x
255.255.x.x

Then out of that
192.168.1.x Use for office PC keep this range for the DHCP
192.168.2.x Things that just hang off the network
192.168.3.x For another group

255.255.0.0 Would this stay the same for all???

how would i set this all up in DHCP. So they can all talk to another.

BLilley,
The honest answer would be to hire a consultant to come out and set up your network, if you do not have the technical experience in-house. There are so many ways do do this, where the best practice way envolves a lot of technical knowledge in the areas of Cisco and Microsoft.

Easy Answer:
You could change your subnet masking to 255.255.0.0 - this would creat on large broacast domain (cisco term) that would degrade network performance as you add more devices.
Your DCHP Scope would be 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254 - over 65,000 addresses on that one subnet - Not best practice if you see your company growing...

Right Answer:

Cisco side:
You should create 3 subnets on your routers, configure routing, and set up VLans on your switches. (subnets 192.168.1.x, 2.x, and 3.x - SM 255.255.255.0) You will need IP Helper Address for DHCP broadcast traffic to travers the router. You can do static mapping for your routing table or use a Dynamic routing protocol. You network is small so RIP should work well for you.

Microsoft side:
Setup DCHP Server Scopes - One scope for each subnet and configure Scope and Server Options.

If you have the technical resources in your company, great. If not and the Boss wont allocate dollars to do this. Start reading up on the technologies described above. Hopefully others will chim into this post and give you some more Ideas.

Good Luck-

Here is a link that can help you figure out what the best way to go is:

personally i would just change the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 this would give you a network addressable from 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.1.254 giving you double the address space.

Just my 2 cents,

Roadki11

Thanks for all your help guys. After looking at the two options I went with roadki11 just changed the subnet. To do this I had to delete the old scope and create a new one which was pretty easy.

the problems I am having now is that I cant ping the 192.168.1.0 as easy. 1 received and 3 lost. If I put one of out products on that ip. Some computers can bring it up and other just cont find server they error out error.

I have done an ipconfig /release and renew to all computers.

After that I checked to make sure all were on the 255.255.254.0 mask

If you guys have any suggestions that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back