Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Some Help? Problem w/Fiber Uplinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

my2girls

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2013
US
I need some help and I am hoping someone can help. I have some older switches uplinked via fiber. They have older SX modules uplinked w/multi-mode with SC connectors. They work fine when they are uplinked to each other. However, I need to replace one of the switches with a newer switch which only has a newer SFP module with LC connector. So I bought the SFP connectors and I also bought a SC to LC adapter. So on the one switch I still have the older SX connected connected to the switch with the SC connector and then on the other end of the fiber I have SC connectors plugged into the SC to LC adapter which is connected to the new SFX SX adapter on the new switch. The problem is that I cannot get an uplink and I am not sure why. I did a direct patch between two new SFP ports on the new switch with a multi-mode cable w/SC connectors just to ensure that the adapters and the new SFPs worked and I can get an uplink fine. I just cannot get an uplink between the old and new switch.

The old switch is an old Avaya switch using an X330S2 (SX) module connected w/multi-mode to another Avaya switch - works.

The old switch, old Avaya switch using an X330S2 (SX) module, trying to connect w/multi-mode to new switch with a SMC SFP 550mm LC SFP adapter using a LC-M to SC-F adapter - does not work?

Any ideas? I am at a loss. To me, it seems if I can get an ST to ST to work on the old switches, I should be able to get this to work. I know the adapters work.

What the hang am I missing?

Thanks.

They must be the same speed. You can't usually link a gig GBIC to a 100meg GBIC. Also, you must cross transmit and receive. My transmit goes to your receive. And they must both be multimode or both single mode. Can't mix and match.

I try reversing the connections to ensure that I wasn't mixing up the cross and receive - neither combo worked. I am pretty sure the older Avaya modules were gig as well, but I will confirm that. Thanks. I really appreciate the response.

The Avaya X330S1 Expansion sub-module provides one 1000Base-SX port, the Avaya X330S2 Expansion sub-module provides two 1000Base-Sx ports.

The new switch may need some configuration. Assign speed for the GBIC port, etc. Loop new switch to itself and see if you get link light.

I did loop the new switch to itself and get an uplink - that rules out my SFPs or the adapter. However, I did not try forcing the port to Gig on the new switch - I had it just set to auto. I will have to give that a try. Is there any chance that my older SX modules just will not work with a newer SX module? They are both SX and should be compatible right? Thanks.

The forced uplink was the trick! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back