Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshirley001

Technical User
Mar 2, 2003
US
This is a new build (Asus P4PE) and everything has gone flawlessly, booted to BIOS on the first try, Ive just been waiting on my copy of win xp pro (full version) to arrive via UPS, the final piece to the puzzle. I knew it was gonna be a bad evening when I checked the UPS website and it said my package had been delivered and left at the side door... Well, it aint there. The elderly couple across the street who sit on the porch all day said a UPS truck did come by but it didnt stop, it went on down the street. When my twin 15 year old boys heard of this they said "dont worry dad, we'll find it" and set out on a covert carport snooping operation. Well, they did find the package, it was delivered to the wrong address.

Anyway, I'm tring to install xp following Mr. Steveo's guide ( and I get to the part where I press F6 to setup the RAID (I just have one ATA-133 drive on that connector set as master, not a drive array and am pretty sure I have it setup properly in the BIOS because when it boots up it shows a screen that lists the maxtor drive and shows it as available), Nothing on the primary IDE and a CDRW and DVD-R on the secondary IDE. I press "S" and insert the diskette when prompted, the floppy drive lights up and then I get an error that says it cannot locate the file "txtsetup.oem", so I boot with a DOS 6.2 diskette and look on the driver disk and the txtsetup.oem file is there, along with a few other files and a directory named "promise".

Also at some point, I get the message "setup did not find any HDD installed in your computer".

Why are you setting up a RAID array if you only have one hard drive? You need two identical drives to do that.
Plug the drive into the primary master slot, blue to the mobo, black to the hard drive.
Let bios detect the drive.
Enter BIOS setup, change boot sequence to CD-ROM first, HDD-0 second, put in your new CD, and start the computer.
The XP setup will partition and format the drive as part of it's install.
Once you have it up and running, when you purchase another identical hard drive, you can then set up the RAID array. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Im putting it on the RAID connector because it is ATA-133 and I have an ATA-133 HDD, the primary master is ATA-100 and I have 2 other HDD's I plan to put on that. The folks at Asus said this can be done and that by default the RAID connector will be one drive set as master, a second drive set as slave will not work.

The actual throughput of the 133 vs. the 100 is not that great in actuality. In the reports I have read, you will not see a very noticable increase.
The ATA133 drive you have will throttle down to the 100 controller.
Unless you are just hellbent on using the raid controller, I agree with ComTech Good luck, and Happy Computing

Even if you want to use the RAID controller for it, I would do the full install as a standard IDE, and move it to the RAID controller after the install.
RAID on IDE drives is just too fussy, unless you have two identical drives already, and can set it up from scratch.
Setting up one drive, and adding another later, just adds too many variables into the equation.
To get the RAID array as the bootable port, you'll have to disable the standard IDE ports, and have the RAID drivers on disk available for the F6 prompt during the install. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Comtech, thats the problem, I have the drivers on the disk, press F6 and insert the disk when prompted. The floppy lights up and then xp tells me it cannot find the file 'txtsetup.oem' but that file is on the disk in the root directory.

I have never really done much with raid controllers but i have used asus boards with what i guess has raid controllers which are Promise IDE controlers, I would agree with the guys above about installing on the primary then switching over to the promise controlers after setup is complete. apparantly even though the file is there xp doesnt like what it sees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back