Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need some guidelines ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProDev

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
US
Hi,

While doing developments in Informatica, I am coming across some
concerns ...

1. Lets say, I have the source qualified mapped to one Expression transformation. Mapping was runing fine.
Later on, I got to introduce a Router trans before the Expression trans.
In this case, what I had to do is, to create the Expression trans again and do the necessary mapping (from router) as before.
[this is b'cuz, when i was dragging cols from Router to the existing Expression trans, it was not woking ]
So, by this I did a re-work. Is this the way, you guys handle such situations.
If there are 100s of records mapped to the Expression (lots of calculations being done in EXP), then what is the right way of taking care of such situation ?

2.Whenever a mapping gets invalid, how do you detect the cause of the Invalidness.

3.When the table structure of source table OR target table changes, what are side effects, you need to take care of ?
Is that. you have to import source/target again and do re-work ??

4. How do you debug the mapping ? I was trying to debugg by clicking DeBug icon and then proceeding further. But, could not do much on that ? Pls help me on this

Thanks

1. Elaborate more.
2. When the Mapping is invalid, see the window at bottom,
that will show the reason for Invalid and accordingly rectify the Mapping.

3. There are 2 ways of doing this if source or target tables changes.

a) You can manually change the source tables structure
and target table stu. in designer.
b) You can again import the source & Target Table from database. While importing it asks for various option select the replace. This will automatically update the source & Target structure in all the mapping that uses this tables.

4. Better to read informatica help. Not very easy to describe step by step here.
If u are not able to debug the mapping because of some error like session in batch than remove the session from batch and than debug the session.

-Ajay

Hey Ajay,

Thanks for your response and helpfull hints.

Well, coming to my 1st question,

In one of my mappings (where Expression transformation was used), I did some modifications in such a way that, before Expression transformation, a Router trans was added.

So what hapened is that, columns from Router didn't get related to Expression, while doing a dragging drop (i deleted existing relations to Expression and tried to relate results from router to the existing Expression trans).
Then, I had to create new Expression trans and related the Router to it and did all calcultians of EXpression trans again in new EXP(using coluns from Router, off coures).

Since it was a huge table of 100s columns. I did the whole lot of calculations in Expression trans agian.

Basically, new columns from Router did not get mapped to existing Expression trans. Not only in this case, I have come across some other situation, when such drag and drop does not work in relating. (perticularly, when i do modifications to a existing map).

[i am new to informatica developments, needs some hints to speed up my work]

Thanks

Hi,

This reg the 4th question.
First check if the you have made the task and created a workflow using this task, for the mapping in the workflow manager.
Without a proper workflow in Workflow manager, you would not be able to debug thru Mapping Designer.
See that you have assigned the workflow to the correct Informatica server in the workflow manager.
The above step is very important becuase when you debug, then after the first 'next', it asks for the server to use in the mapping.
This server should be same as what you have assigned to the workflow ( created for the mapping you want to debug) in the workflow manager.
See if this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back