Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Secure File and ETL for AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoryH

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2012
US
I am looking to replace a home grown set of scripts with a commercial off-the-shelf solution for database extraction (ETL) and secure file sending (primarily SFTP with PGP). We are running AIX 6. Anyone have any experience with this kind of software and the pain points associated with changes or upgrades.

I looked through this forum and did not find answers, so sorry for the long list below and not only for my learnings, but if you make a good response everyone can benefit. Thanks.

Here are some of the requirements:
1. Eliminate scripts.
2. Have role-based access and good audit logs.
3. Run on AIX with hopefully easy upgrade process.
4. A GUI interface would be nice without a client/server component.
5. Pass audits from American companies we do business with.
6. Schedule and automate jobs to move data between locations/databases and send files securely to many different companies.

Things we need to replicate that we do now:
1. Users move CSV and Excel files from their workstations to the sever. This should be secure and Webbrowser based. Now it is done via freeware tools.
2. Server recognizes new files and sends the pertinent information to a database in the DMZ. Elaborate scripts fail a lot for us currently.
3. Records and information need to pump into DB2 (billing dept.), then be extracted and be pushed to Oracle (shipping dept).
4. Once confirmed, we create a new excel sheet, send one copy to our repository, and encrypt one copy and SFTP it to a vendor at the depot.
5. Currently only looking at a log can we determine if this was all successful. A new software would ideally email at points to let us know the process is working.

Since your data is on Windows and database is on Unix, why don't you look at a client-server solution like Ab Initio. A.I. programming is done with a Graphical Development Environment. There is a learning curve, but it's window's programming - not Unix scripting.

Ab Initio has a website you can easily find, but take a look at the Wiki:

The above link also talks about A.I.'s competitors which might give you some ideas.

Sounds more like you need a managed file transfer type system. Have a look at GoAnywhere Director:

GoAnywhereMFT

We use this at our company and I have to say, it will meet all your requirements and then some.

They have trial/demo software you can install so you can review it yourself before you purchase.

Regards,
Chuck

Just re-read your post and one thing to note, GoAnywhere Director software is seamless when it comes to upgrades. It's both simple and fast.

Regards,
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back