Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Registration/Login/EmailNotifications/EmailConfirmation/Profile +

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenjames

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US

Greetings,

I know Dreamweaver MX is prettly clear about setting up a simple registration / login system, but I need all the usual bells and whistles too.

I need

- Registration Form
- Registration/Profile/Login Database
- Login against username (email address) and password
- Email Notification to registrant of their login information with a confirmation link to confirm valid email
- Email notification to site owner of confirmed registration with registration data
- Registrant ability to update their username (email address) and/or password
- A password reminder function to email password to confirmed email address

First, can all this be done within the Dreamweaver MX interface? (Please bear in mind that, while I have experience with DW's data binding interface and database driven pages, I am not a programmer at all.) If so, is there a tutorial how to do it?

Second, is there a DW component or extension, free or for sale, that will enable a non-programmer designer to accomplish all of the above through the extension's interface?

Third, can someone recommend a great third-party application, preferably one that integrates seamlessly with DW, but if not that's okay, that will enable a non-programmer designer to accomplish all of the above? I would especially appreciate recommendations that you have actually used with success and satisfaction. And it would be great if it were not restricted to .ASP pages or IIS servers but could provide code in all the application environments that DW handles.

I need to be up and running with something as soon as I can.

Please let me hear from youThanks.

regards,

stevenjs

I have to say....... and a bit more ...............

I think you should go looking at some of the PHP solutions available, they will probably provide what you are looking for, but they are not really going to be integrated in with DW.
(do a google for php login authentication scripts)

I know there are quite a few out there, but usually to get one that is really easy to set up and customise you end up paying someone to do it for you if you know nothing about programming.

You could try learning a little PHP, the stuff you are trying to do is very easy (I know nothing about asp- try the macromedia extensions to see if they have one for that)

Basically, if you want really simple drag and drop type setup- use macromedia cold fusion- just find a server you can host it on before you start, as far as I know they are more expensive and harder to find.

g'luck, hope this helps some

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Thanks, DaRNCat, for your response.

Yes, I have found a one or two complete PHP solutions. One of them, though not complete, does integrate with Dreamweaver.

I don't know how trying to learn PHP would differ from any other programming language. To me, programming is just not my cup of tea. I'm a visual artist.

The ColdFusion setups I've seen have been very limited, while the PHP and ASP solutions have been the most complete. I don't think they (the CF developers) really understand all that's needed from a usability standpoint. I have a CF hosting service, and have DW-developed CF applications on them, but there's nothing in CF to compare with ASP and PHP.

If you come across a CF solution that covers all, each and every, criteria mentioned, please let me know.

Thanks again for responding.

stevenjs

I'm a designer too, and prefer to create front end, but as needs must, I have learned how to use PHP.

With the one solution which integrates into DW- would it be possible to get a programmer to finish the solution for you?
This might be your best fix if you really want to use DW to create this site.

----------------------------------------
Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

ASP will work just as well...and will integrate with DW...
ASP synthax is a bit easier to pick put but it really depends on a few things that u have to ask yourself:
-your time
- willingness to learn
- budget
-future plans 1. project wise 2.your plans to continute to work as a developer.
CFM synthanx is not that much different as it still runs over core of SQL but many extentions & free tools are not available unlike for ASP and PHP.
Here is a link to some ASP/CFM tutorials:

post some more if u need help!
All the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back