Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need recommendations for a Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
OK folks, now I need a recommendation for a proxy server that has the following features:

1. Authentication. Users should have to enter credentials in order to access the Internet. Something that integrates with Windows authentication is fine, but I would prefer to have the users be prompted for credentials when they first access the Internet instead of using cached credentials (In case a user walks away with their workstation unlocked, you would still need a PW to access the web).

2. Access control. I want to be able to allow/block access to specific sites. My firewall currently uses a blocklist for known ad servers and a large number of other business inappropriate sites, but I want to be able to add additional sites from the proxy.

3. Logging. I want to be able to review every site that has been accessed by every user, along with time/date stamping, etc. Ideally, I would be able to have a custom warning displayed when a user attempts to access a blocked site indicating that the site was blocked and the access attempt was logged. Again, I want my people to know beyond any doubt that they are being watched.

4. Cheap. But that goes without saying. Cheap or free isn't actually a requirement, but the beancounters like it when I save money.

Any ideas?

Why not just used Microsoft Proxy Server. It's cheap..

We picked up MS Proxy Server 2 from ebay for £20.

It fills your requriements although with regards to authentication it does use the windows logon credentials. This would be easily averted however by assigning a new account for each user with Internet Access, and they could type these in for access.

So Proxy Server 2 would fit the bill perfectly but you might need to create additional accounts to get exactly what you want.

The logging is very good.

I thought MS Proxy Server had been EOL'd and replaced with MS ISA Server?

I looked at ISA Server briefly, it looks like it's about $1500 per processor. But I don't need the firewall portion either since I already have a hardware firewall, so I was thinking I might be able to save a little cash if I had less functionality.

I probably should have specified, this is for an environment that is strictly Windows 2000 servers and Windows XP clients.

Is Proxy server still available, and compatible with Windows 2000?

Yes it is obsolete but you can still buy it from places such as ebay and a few online stores.

We use it here on a 2000 network and there are no problems at all.

I'd personally go with ISA Server which meets ICSA Certification and is infinately more secure than MS Proxy.

The management is easier too.

You need to consider product life cycle, security updates etc.

Hi there

I have been using a cheap product called Wingate.
This has a load of options for user accounts, auditing, blocking, etc.
Free Trial
Works fine for me.
WinGate Pro 50 user USD$749.95
WinGate Pro unlimited user USD$1049.95
No reason to promote this other than it works

I use ISA (Internet Security and Acceleration) for my clients and it does everything that you required in your list plus it has many more features. And it's a Microsoft product so it was built to work with Windows Server. Can't beat the compatibility. You can also download the evaluation version from the Microsoft site...it gives you a few months to test drive ISA before you buy!

MS Proxy has been discontinued to my understanding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back