Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need recommendation for good File Copy tool, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catadmin

Programmer
Oct 26, 2001
US
Greetings, All.

I'm looking for a tool that can copy files from a network share on a Win 2k Server down to another domain on a scheduled basis rather than manual one.

I have two domains, remote and local. Remote cannot see local, but that is where the file in question is. Local can see remote and the network share, so I'll probably have to use the tool on Local to grab the file on remote. Again, I need something that can be scheduled instead of something I have to activate manually.

Freeware or Shareware is preferable, but I'm also willing to look at purchasable tools. Anyone have any ideas? Names of the tools & or website links would be great.

Thanks!

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
Beware the error of pre-emptive poultry inventory!

Have you looked into creating a batch file using XCOPY and putting it in the scheduler? We do something like this here. I don't have access to that machine right now but it's something like

NET USE X: \\servername\sharename
XCOPY c: X: /V

we use the /V to verify the data copied correctly.

you can then youe the scheduler to run this however you want to.

Hope this helps

Robocopy from the Windows resource kit is a lot better (and faster) for this purpose and will maintain the existing ACLs. I have used this tool many time during file server upgrades

Got to aggree with itsp1965, RoboCopy is the tool and it comes with the ResKit. I use it a lot.

Chris

Is RoboCopy better than XXCopy for this type of thing? Also do you need to be logged in for the scheduler to work?

no you can run the scheduled task without being logged on. Ensure that you setup the task to run under the account you want it to. I have created a specific account for this purpose (with robocopy), and it works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back