Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Raid config site for Raid 1+0 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEagle406

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2005
US
Greetings!

I'm looking for a website which will show how much loss that I'll have when using various configs of 146Gb drives in different configs of anywhere from Raid 5 to Raid 10 to Raid 0+1.

Do you or anyone have such a site avialable?

Thanks

GoldenEagle406

Raid 5 = N+1 for a loss of 1 drive
Raid 1/0 = This is a stripped mirror, if mirroring using 4 disk in the RAID than only 2 will be used for data.
Raid 0+1 is the same as Raid 1/0

Thanks for the comments. So with this logic, if I have 7 drives I will still only lose 2 drives in the RAID 1/0 configuration. Correct?

No, with 7 disk drives you going to have 3 disks effective, 3 for mirror and 1 for spare. RAID 1/0 is stripes mirrored, so by definition it must have #disk in multiples of 2.

Cheers.

So if I'm hearing this correctly, if I use (6) 146 G drives in a RAID 1/0 config, then I will get an effective use of [(6X146)/2] = 438 G space? Correct? This is a lot of space wasted, but is it really worth the extra speed and protection?

Thanks!

[(6X146)/2] = 438 G space? Correct?
YES!! you got it.

This is a lot of space wasted, but is it really worth the extra speed and protection?
That's right. RAID 1/0 gives you the best performance and protection in the market, but cost a lot.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back