Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Purchasing Advice for SBS2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserInd

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2004
US
I need to purchase a backup solution and have used Backup Exec 7 in the past. While I don't think it is the "Cat's Meow" of software, it does usually do the job. I have compared the forums for all the big names, and they all get the same kind of negative posts, so....

I am looking for this functionality:
Backup of the following:
SBS 2000
Exchange 2000
SQL 2000
Member Server 2003 Standard

I believe I need these products:

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1
Agent for Exchange
Agent for SQL
Advanced Open File
Remote Server Agent

Would it be best to buy these individually or any advantage to using "Veritas Backup Exec for SBS 2000" and add the option packs? Any limitations to the SBS Version?

What Licensing Option should I use? I do have Veritas Backup Exec 7.0, can I use the Upgrade Version?

Looking for purchasing guidance, and understanding of licensing levels. I alread use Symantec AV for Servers and SAVFMSE for Exchange. Any conflict issues?

Thanks to the group,

George L. Hicks
Laser Industries Inc.

This all boils down to licensing.
1) Veritas BE 9.x SBS 2000 License will only Backup the Local SBS server itself an "NO" remote servers at all. The 9.x SBS 2000 license includes the Exchange, SLQ, and IDR...again only to backup the local SBS machine itself. If you try to enter a remote agent, etc you will not be able to.

So..if your 2003 member server is the media server or the server with the tape device attached then you are correct with the licenses you need above, except for the AOFO, unless you need that on the member server.

SBS license for 2000 is discounted because it only protects the local server. Going the other route you described will be more costly, but if you decide to add other servers or anything your have more options.

Buy the SBS2003 Premium Licence. It is backwards compatible with SBS2000 and will allow you to backup SQL and Exchange. The standard license only does Exchange. It mirror's Microsofts versions.

The other nice thing is that it will allow Remote agent backups of other servers, although I'm not sure if you have to have a seperate licence for the Remote Agent. I think so but not positive.

Going that way, you would need the SBS and Remote agent licenses only to do what you want to do.

Thanks for the info. After researching the products and our projected needs, I feel it will be best to get the individual products.

I will install it on our W2K3 Server as a backup server and do the SBS2000 backup across the wire, along with Exchange and SQL. This way I don't have to install the product on my production server, but can still back it up from the 2K3 box.

I am going to get:
BExec 9.1 Upgrade version Lev'B' with 1 year upgrade.
BExec 9.1 SQL Agent Lev'B' with 1 year upgrade.
BExec 9.1 Exchange Agent Lev'B' with 1 year upgrade.
BExec 9.1 ADV Open File Lev'B' with 1 year upgrade.

CDW Total Price: $2,699.31 (Including a 200GB IDE Drive for the existing USB2 Enclosure to store the backups on.)

They tell me that there is no need to purchase the remote agent with this scenario, because the license will cover it.

Thanks again,

George L. Hicks
Laser Industries Inc.

Your right, the exchange, sql, and AOFO incluse 1 remote cal license.

Actually, Veritas makes a version of BE for SBS specifically, and it is quite a bit cheaper than buying all the options you mentioned. The only option it does not come with is the Advanced Open File Option, or AOFO.

Veritas BE SBS Premium (which covers SQL) goes for just under $500 from my vendor if you get it without support. With support it runs for just under $600. The AOFO agent runs around $260.

Remote agents are a thing of the past. The OFO's include Remote Agents.

Aslan111

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back