Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need programming for ATA off PRI for D I D to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringerx

Vendor
Jan 4, 2007
US
Trying to set an ata off my norstar for D I D off a pri to my server,so my software guys can D I D to their server.This ATA is new to me and would appreciate any help.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want an ATA to send MF/DTMF from the Norstar to another external device for a call coming from a PRI. Can't be done with an ATA or an ATA2. You might be able to do it with a VMI, but they're discontinued and hard to find. More reliable option would be E&M trunks.

Search in here for 'fax server', that should give you LOTS to read.

Good luck!

ACTUALLY WHAT IM TRY TO DO IS ,MY SORTWARE GUYS ASKED ME TO GIVE THEM A LONE INTO THEIR SEVER ALL I HAVE HERE IS ONE FULL PRI i WANTED TO PULL A NUMBER OFF THE PRI AND PLUG IN MY SERVER SO THEY HUYS COULD DIAL INTO THE SERVER.

Maybe Im making this harder than it seems ,My software guys just need a dial up line to their server and all I have on site is 1 full pri ??

Agreed, a target line will need to be setup to the ATA. Better yet just get a dedicated business line.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

CCNA,CCNP,Network+
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

Could someone explain...

jeter suggests above getting a dedicated business line for this application. And this line of thinking seems to be "conventional wisdon" in the business, e.g. get a dedicated line for your fax machine and anything else that needs an analog line, even though you have a PRI for voice.

I don't understand why you would want to do so in most cases, unless your PRI is heavily used. We use analog ports on our MICS w/PRI for our fax, conference room phone, postage meter refill, modems to remote control systems, etc, and it works wonderfully. I can connect to an ISP (if I need to) at 50.6k, since it's all digital past the MICS. The only downside is no caller ID on the analog ports. And if the PRI goes down I have to use my cell phone to call repair.

But the economics are great, especially the low usage lines. Yes, we had to buy the analog station module, but there is no monthly charge at all. (I've even got a BRI card connected to our server for inbound V.90 modem connections over the PRI.)

So, what's the downside? Is the MICS unique in its ability to handle analog stations without quality degradation? Or is there something else I'm missing?

emk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back