Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need opinions on Oracle Paradigm please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redss

Programmer
Oct 20, 2002
I have been thrown into an Oracle project (need to learn pl/sql quick) although the majority of my experience is with microsoft tools.

Is it just me, or is there really a fundamental difference between the paradigm of oracle tools and microsoft tools? I have never been so frustrated with the learning curve (I have 20+ years of experience programming in many languages like C, Perl, and visual basic etc. etc.

An example... when I learned VB I read some quick online tutorial and in less than an hour I was into serious programming... mainly due to the extensive MS online help, for example hitting F1 on a keyword will give description and usually an example.

Heck I searched the internet for a windows help for PL/SQL, and evidently one doesnt exist - everybody points me to thick books on how to program in Oracle.

I know that VB is a RAD tool, and is probably the most widely used on database clients so why does Oracle have to make it so much harder to learn rapidly? From my experience all languages are essentially the same, so it shouldn't take a thick manual to teach how to do something.

Is it me or is this truly a division between the oracle and microsoft way of working/learning/thinking? (opinions may influence my decision to give 2 weeks notice!)

The idea is that Oracle IS NOT A RAD TOOL. The VB analog is probably Forms. You may create simple applications with it knowing nothing about sql or pl/sql at all. As for pl/sql, its syntax is quite simple (standard assign/loop/choice constructs), but the number of libraries is big. You may compare it with Transact SQL, not with VB.
You may also find Oracle documentation online on Regards, Dima

I've been required to use Forms version 6.0.8.11.3 , and find it sadly lacking in user friendly help. Why no context sensitive searches?

Is Oracle Forms considered a RAD tool? If so, its certainly not as RAD as VB. Is it just me?

Sem, I guess I need clarification from you, did you mean Oracle FORMS is not a RAD tool, or the whole Oracle product line?

I suppose that Forms is really RAD tool (especially in conjuction with Oracle Designer), as you may use wizard ONLY and obtain quite reach tool for entering/querying/editing data.
Of course, it lacks for some useful features, but in most cases this is due to its cross-platformity.
I'm also sure that this is not the right place for flame, so if you need some technical assistance - please do ask your question, but if you need some reasons for not moving from VB to Forms, I'd suggest you to go to VB forum.

P.S. When 7 years ago I was switching from VFP to Oracle Forms, it was also a bit painfull :) Regards, Dima

hi
there are some sites you can get some quick info about PLSQL.

sqlcourse.com
sqlcourse2.com
dbasupport.com
some site with a name containing pipeline plsql archives.
(sorry i dont remeber the full name.)
Oreially.com is another site where you can see some sample chapters free (belonging to some costly books).

Abhivyatki

hi

some more sites

orakle.com
orafans.com
orapub.com
orafaq.com

regards
abhivyakti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search