Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need maganifying glass on button 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aMember

Programmer
Jun 12, 2002
US
Created a 'search' button. Want to put a magnifying glass as the icon on the button. Currently have binoculars but they are too large and making them smaller makes it hard to determine what they are. Does anyone know which font and letter/symbol make the magnifying glass?

Running XP and windows 2000.

What did you create the Button from? as this can determine
what you can do....eg ActiveX control, Forms control, Inserted Object/Picture, CommandBars.

Ivan F Moala

The button was inserted via the control toolbox.

You can put a magnifying Icon in this type of control.
have a look @ the Piicture property of the commandbuttons control. Right click > view properties.
If you need a magnifying Icon....do a search for Icons.

Ivan F Moala

For Commandbar buttons (custom menus, etc) you can use the built-in icons via the FaceID property. In the preset icon list there is a magnifying glass at numer 25, so MyButton.FaceID = 25 would do the trick.

I don't think you can use the built-in icons as a face for buttons inserted from the toolbar because they don't have the FaceID property. Although there's probably a way to save an icon as a picture, it's probably faster to just get a clip-art magnifying glass and put that on the button.

VBAjedi [swords]

Thanks. I should have made myself a bit clearer. Know about both of these two methods but 1) FaceID does not work and 2)problem with looking for the icon is entirely that I could not find it - but know it exists somewhere because it is used. Do you know what the file is called, Ivan?

So why do you need that exact magnifying glass icon? There's a million clipart versions on the net that you could adapt in less time than digging up a M$soft icon (I seem to remember someone saying those icons are mixed into some other system file and not easily accessible).

VBAjedi [swords]

Hi aMember,

I'm not sure you'll be able to use the icon even if you find it.

Why don't you find a screen with it on, print screen, go into your favourite image editor (but MS Paint will do), paste, clip the icon out of the screen image and create your own bitmap.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question.

Good thinking, Tony. I'll dish out a star for that!

Hope that does the trick for you, aMember.

VBAjedi [swords]
bucky.gif

Great idea Tony! Can't believe I didn't think of that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back