Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED INFO ON DW6000 MODEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcrai

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
I am considering DirectWay internet service, for my small business. I plan to network 3 to 4 workstations to share this connection. My question is this. Does the DW6000 modem function as a router, and will a hub be all that I need?

The 6000 just came out recently and I believe that all you need is a small hub Not 100% sure though. I took a class on the 6000 and if my memory serves me right than yes that is all you will need.

Be very bery careful. you get e very very slow upload speed,(4/5Kb)and you only have a certain amount that you ca download before you get pushed to dialup speeds. I think it is around 150 MB or something like that. Think of it as a bottle of water that gets refilled at a slow rate. If you drink it all than you need to wait till it fills itself up again before quenching your thirst, or drink from the trickle that is filling the bottle.

According to sales rep, upload speed is 50 to 60kb, download 500kb. However, if your downloads exceed approx 200mb in say a four hour peroid, you will be throttled back to dialup speeds for six to eight hours, due to FAP (fair access policy). Myself, I think FAP sucks, but in the location where this will be installed the only other choice is dialup.

Yes,DW6000 acts as a router also and the hub is only all u need to share it on your LAN.You need not install proxy server as it automatically give the IP's to your computer.It acts as a DHCP server and have the inbuilt relay agent also.It has also inbuilt NAT and Firewall support

I got dway about a month and a half ago. Access speeds are great but the modem died and has been on backorder since the first of december. Although helpfull and understanding
support while trying to get a new one has been poor at best.
If you plan on networking more than one computer to the modem you will have to have a router not a hub. This took the installer and dw about 2 days to verify and figure out.

Ive had my DW6000 for about a week now, and im just noticing its having major problems doing stuff other than browsing the web. Such as connecting to an SQL server with enterprise manager, connecting to another machine via terminal services. I think the proxy server is somehow getting in the way, and as of the current firmware release you cannont disable the built in proxy server.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?

How do I network my Consumer version of the DW6000? (#8504)
A: If you have the “Consumer” level service, your DW6000 acts as a router by itself. There is therefore no benefit to having a separate broadband router. In fact, a separate router will complicate your network unnecessarily. You will need a hub or switch and/or possibly a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in order to expand the single Ethernet port on the DW6000 to the number of computers on your LAN. Either a hub or a switch will work, but a switch is preferable from a performance standpoint.

Using any standard Cat5 network cable, attach the Ethernet port of the DW6000 to the any port on your switch. If your switch has an “Uplink” port, you can use that, but keep in mind that the uplink port shares circuitry with one of the standard ports on the switch; usually the one closest to it, or the last standard port on the switch. This means that you cannot use that “shared” port if you use the uplink port, and visa-versa.

Using any standard Cat5 network cables, connect each computer on your LAN to the remaining ports on the switch or hub.

The DW6000 has a built-in “DHCP” server so you can set up each computer to get its IP address and DNS information “automatically”. For Windows users this is the “default” if you run the Windows Networking Wizard, and is the simplest way to successfully get your network running.

If you want to set up static IP’s on your network, the easiest way would be to use IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.2 – 192.168.0.254, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and a DNS server of your choice. 198.77.116.8 is a valid DirecWay DNS server you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back