Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need individual control of check boxes on a continuous form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi420

Programmer
Jun 21, 2002
US
It's looking pretty grim, but I'll ask anyways. Does anyone know a way in which I can individually select check boxes on a continuous form without the unwanted effect of changing ALL the check boxes on that form?
When you use check box on a continuous form in Access, it treats every check box for that field the same. So if for record#1, I check a check box, it will be that value for all my records (record#2, record#3, etc.) and say I decide that records#3's check box should be unchecked ... unchecking that box unchecks the check boxes for all the records! Is there any way around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx! (^_^)

-Jedi420

Jedi420
I've seen that problem solved somewhere. Have a good search of past postings in the VBA section (you won't be doing it from wizards). If you can't find it, remind me on
jjjtuohy>>>>@<<<<hotmail.com
(Remove the >>>><<<< before sending. I don't like spam)
Regards,
John

Hi Jedi420,

What you need to do is add a Yes/No field to your table, then bind your checkbox to that field.

Basically, you need to add a control source to your checkbox.

Bill

Thanks guys for responding. Poteen, I have done massive searches on this before asking, but i never thought to search the VBA section ... I'll try that. Bill, this form is used for adding records to a specific table, the check box is used to ask the user if they want these records to be appended to another record, so a yes/no field might be a feasable solution, but there should be a more elegant way to do this since I would really have no use for that field except for this one form. Thanks guys ... still lookin for an answer.

-Jedi420

Well Jedi420,

It's definitely/certainly the ONLY solution.

The &quot;use&quot; of the extra field in your table is that it makes your form work as you asked. If there is an unbound control of any type in a continuous form, EVERY instance of that control inherits/displays the attributes of the current record.

Odd! Still looking for the answer?

Bill

Yeah, I just took a walk around the building thinking of how to do this and it seems that you are correct ... there really is no other way around it. I suppose itll be ok since no users will ever see the tables. I just wanted to keep my data as relevant as possible, but you gotta do what you gotta do ... thanks for the advice. (^_^)

-Jedi420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back