Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need HelpHooking up Tape Drive to Array Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol

MIS
Jan 29, 2001
US
Attempt One:
I am trying to kook up two different tape drives to one server, and split the backup load accross the drives. First I had Daisy Chained the two drives together, and could not get ArcServe to operate correctly, it would only see one of the devices. The devices were hooked up, and terminated correctly

Attempt Two:
I have hooked up the two drives to two different SCSI interfaces, One is its own card, and one is hooked up to the Array. Windows is detecting, and installing the drives, but ArcServe is having a hard time with it. When I click on the drive I get this response:

This is a shared device on a Distributed server and tapeengine is unable to connect to Primary Server. Please make sure that tapeengine is running on the Primary server.

I have updated the device drivers for the drives, and Windows doesn't seem to have any issues with it.

Server Configuration

Compaq Proliant ML370
Windows 2000 Server (SP2)
ArcServe 2000 Advanced Edition (SP3)
HP DLT drives

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Pistol

You have to create in the registry a key :
HKLM\Software\ComputerAssociates\ArcserveIT\Base\TapeEngine
Create a folder 'config'
Create a key type : REG_DWORD named :EnableSharedDevices