Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlollar

Programmer
Apr 30, 2003
US
I found a logo on the net and I saved as a JPEG I sent it to a friend and he changed the name in it and sent back to me as a JPEG. I opened it in Illistrator and saved it as an .AI I sent it to the business card place and they say it does not have the right DPI 300 - 600 I opened it in Illistrator and it shows 800 DPI What am I doing wrong. Can I E-mail it to someone and they could look at it for me? Thanks

If you just pulled it off a web page, then it will only have 72 dpi. Just because you put it in a 800 dpi Illustrator page, doesn't mean the resolution will go up on the original jpeg image.

Placing in illustrator does not make it a vector file. You will have to trace it in vector for your printer to be able to print it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

And how do I do that?? I need to get it in 300 - 600 DPI for business cards

Thanks

Recent threads on this forum entitled "Logo Designing" and "Converting Raster to Vector" describe how to use Illustrator features to make a vector version of your logo. They're all okay, but nothing beats going back to the designer of the logo and asking for the original vector outline. If this is a problem with him copyright-wise, well, frankly, being a logo designer myself, I will side with him. But sometimes, the designer's sense of proprietorship is shadowed by his desire to keep his creation crisp and high-res, so he might be glad to give you a copy. Try asking.

You can do what I did and spend the next 10 years mastering AI. =)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back