Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty020

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
US
OK, here's my story. I have a TCP/IP network, which runs primarily Windows 2000. I have a PC from home that runs Windows Me. This machine does not have a CD burner, therefore I would like to transfer all of the files that I need from that PC to the network, so that I can accomplish this. However, this machine does not have a NIC card. My question, is there another way that I can hook up this machine to my network, or just another machine with a burner, without installing a NIC card?

Thanks for your help!

-Smitty

NIC's are dirt cheap these days! What's stopping you from putting one in? Two minute job.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Yes, installing a NIC is the smart way.

You can connect via a Serial or Parallel cable then set this up in the Network and Dial-up Connections however the connection will be horribly slow. I'm not aware of a way to connect two USB ports together so I'd be interested if someone knows how...

The cable you'll need to buy to do this will probably cost about what a NIC would.

Yes, you "could" do it via a USB cable but to be honest the cost vs effort vs performance makes it much more worthwile to install a NIC.

what about slaving the drive onto another computer at the office. that way, all you have to take with you to work is a harddrive instead of lugging the case and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back