Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help With XP Pro Welcome Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexterdoo

Technical User
Jul 19, 2003
US
When I turn on the computer it stops at the Welcome screen and has one name, Administrator. I click on it (no password needed) and the computer starts normally. Then I decided I wanted to bypass the Welcome screen and instead boot right into Windows XP Pro. So I did control userpasswords2, unchecked “users must enter a username and password”, clicked the “Advanced” tab and made sure “requires user to press cntrl+alt+del” was unchecked, then went to “User Accounts” and unchecked “Use the Welcome screen” and clicked “Apply Options”.

Then when I rebooted the computer it stopped at the welcome screen again (the very thing I was trying to bypass) and asked for the Administrator password!!! When I clicked on the icon like before it kept telling me the password was wrong when there never was a password before? I don’t get it?? I didn’t need a password before so why do I need one now?? I’ve done this on many computers before and never had this happen.
Fortunately for me this was a spare computer of mine (and not someone else’s) so I could reload Windows from a backup I had without having someone really pissed at me! Where did I go wrong in this process?

this behaviour normally happens after SP3 is installed.....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Well I am running SP3 but like I said, I've never had this happen before on any SP3 machine?

I'm wondering if it's because you tried to do that with the "administrator" user and not another user. Why I don't know.

Umm... It wasn't accidental/spontaneous. He intentionally set the options for auto login.

Are you on a domain?

Perhaps I was thinking .net - been a while since installing XP workstations. but certainly after installing a number of XP updates, the machine would always boot to the welcome screen rather than the desktop when a single user with no password was created initially.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

No, I'm not on a domain. I'm going to experiment with this a little more (on a test machine of course)! Thanks guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back