Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with wiring on Partner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
US
I have a friend who has just moved a Partner system to a new location. Unfortunately, I was not around when he disconnected the system. I am a network engineer trying to help a friendout and I need help with the proper punch down of the wires and which wires carry signal and which carry power. He appears to have four lines coming in from the dmarc and four lines on the Partner 1 pair each color, i.e. bl/w, grn/w, or/w and br/w. These I believe should connect to the lines from the dmark. If I am wrong let me know. On the lines to the headsets, There are two pair bl/w and or/w. I am using CAT5 wiring to each desktop and phone. Does the Bl/w pair get punched to line1 and or/w to line two on the jack for power?

If not can anyone tell me what the proper punch down should be.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, I am a novice at the telecommunications side but do want to learn.

Thanks TechnoSaint

That sounds about right. The CO lines take 1 pair each, so your good to go there. Just come straight off the Demarc to the switch. As for the stations, for 8-pin jacks, they terminate on pins 3-w/o, 4-bl, 5-w/bl, 6-w/o. The center pins are the blue pair, and the pins outside of those are the orange pair. Hope that helps! Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back