Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with Where arguement in DoCmd.OpenForm 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinWhiteDude

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
US
Using Access 2003:
I am trying to open a form from a listbox and having the devil of a time with the where condition.

This is in the OnClick for the listbox, which is one of many listboxes on the form. They all need the same code (thus the ActiveControl usage) –basically to open a report that matches the number clicked on in the box.

The NumID field is the only one I have in the list, built straight from the table.

The NumID field on the form I want to open is a text field.

Here’s what I have :
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport", acNormal, , "NumID=" & ActiveControl.Column(0)
Any help you can give, I would greatly appreciate.

TWD

How about:

[tt]DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport", acNormal, , "NumID=" & Screen.ActiveControl[/tt]

The NumID field on the form I want to open is a text field

How about:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport", acNormal, , "NumID=[COLOR=red] '[/color] " & ActiveControl.Column(0) [COLOR=red]& " ' "[/color]

Randy

Remou & Randy,

I tried both of your suggestions, but neither worked. I think there is something about using the "where" condition on a form that I'm getting wrong.

I switched tactics and decided to work with the filter arguement instead, with this code:
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport", acNormal

'Filter for selected EDR:
Forms!frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport.Filter = "NumID = '" & ActiveControl.Column(0) & " ' "
Forms!frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport.FilterOn = True

And it worked. I will probably use this, but wish I knew what I was doing wrong on the where . . .

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses.

TWD

You would be best to use OpenArgs with the code illustrated above, where OpenArgs is set to the value of the active control and then used to filter. If you are using the code shown in your original post, it seems likely that randy700's suggestion will work.

Remou,

Would love to do that, but I copied the entire line of Randy's code and pasted it in, and came up with no record.
TWD

So, have you stepped through to find what value is being passed via ActiveControl? Is NumID a text field?

What about this ?
Code:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmEquipmentMalfunctionReport", acNormal, , "NumID='" & ActiveControl.Column(0) & "'"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

PHV--

That did it --I should have caught those spaces in the literal.

Thanx &
Have a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back