Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with VM ware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandar1607

Technical User
Aug 22, 2009
IN
i have installed windows server 2003 enterprise edition on vmware 6.5 version i have installed active directory and DNS .
My base OS is vista now am trying to join my base to domain it is giving error stating domain controller relationship could not be eastablished.Both Vm and base os is getting ip address assigned by dhcp could you please assist me in getting my base OS to VM is there any way

Help Appreciated.

DNS issue, have you tried setting your vista machine DNSs' entry to use the new DC DNS server?

Once you have name resolution sorted you should be able to join the domain.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

i cant do in that way as i get ip assigned from isp through dhcp if i change network no internet connection is possible then i hope you got my point need more info plz let me know thanks for help

You need to have dns name resolution from your workstation to your Windows AD Domain, without that you won't be able to join that domain.

Simply put your ISP usually assigns the IP address to a router (either a static or dynamic) and the router is then used as a gateway from your internal network out to the internet.

Usually you would be assigned a 192.168.x.x address internally with the router either being given a 192.168.x.1 or 192.168.x.254 address as the default gateway, if that's how you have it configured then you can simply change the routers DHCP settings to use the DNS server on your DC and use your DC to route all external dns queries out via your normal DNS server (called forwarding).

Please let me know the makeup of your intenal IP address and I can assist more (from your workstation do ipconfig /all and post the result (assuming you are using a Windows based pc)).

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back