Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with VLAN !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikendo

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
Hi Cisco guru's,

Newbie here with VLAN. I currently have 2 1900-EN switches and 3 2501 routers. I have problem creating vlan here. I get hanged when just about finishing my configuration. For example see bleow, Im following the 640-607 Sybex book ok?.

1900EN(config)#vlan 2 name sales
1900EN(config)#vlan 2 name marketing
1900EN(config)#vlan 2 name MIS

Now if I start adding ports into it.

1900EN(config)#int e0/2 (I have my laptop on this port #2)

1900EN(config)#vlan-membership static 2 (just right here i get hanged, everything is froze) Does anyone know why??

thanks advanced.
ken

Looks like you have the switch configured with an ip address and youve logged in using an IP.

Make sure youre consoled in instead!

What the?!?!

Yeh you right I do have ip on the switch. I tried with the console and still the same(freeze up).
Do I need to setup trunking?. Can i just use one switch for now?

Youre consoled into the switch and it freezes?

You dont need trunking to configure the switch.

What the?!?!

MrVndmrtn,

Ok i got it, I freaking reset the whole switch and now I can consoled in and no freeze up. Ok, I already created 3 vlan and each vlan group goes into defferent ports. I have 3 machine is plugged in the ports 2-5. Now how come each machin able to ping each and see each other?.

Something dont look right here eh?

Hello,

Don't you need to configure VLAN's on fast ethernet? I haven't worked on VLAN's myself but was made to understand that it needs to be configured on fast ethernet ports. You can configure trunking as well if you want to manage everything from a master/domain switch like the catalyst 5000 and if you are running more than just ISL encapsulation.

Mr.Monday,

Yes I have configured trunking link on my F0/26 port. I did it on both of my 1900-EN switchs. The strangest crap is, when i finished setting just one VLAN on port 3. The port #3 LED turns amber. This mean is no linking,no connecton,etc I assumed. What can be wrong?,Im not doing no ISL anything, cuz I cant because the 2500 dont support it. But someone said it can do it, if I use secondary ip. Anyone try this?

Hello again,

As previously stated I haven't created VLAN's myself but my impression was that using VTP to manage a VLAN domain from a single device required the Cat 5000 or higher switch because of the need to keep a database. The database would store VLAN id's, ports, encapsulations and such. Lower end switches probably don't have the ability to house/host such a database. As for secondary ip, I thought that was used to accommodate more than one protocol as in IP and IPX assuming you were running both-I could be way off here.

Are you are using static VLAN's?

Yep Static VLAN with trunking on both switches.

start at this possiblity i know it works on 2950s
switch#vlan database
switch(vlan)# vtp domain (Name)
vtp mode client|server
note this is not in config mode, not sure on these 19's but should set it up on all sitches
one is server others client to get info from server switch, all need ip on vlan1 for management. the router should make it able to see each other as long as you have it routing for you.put speed on and duplex full on each port. set protfast if possible on non trunk ports. make sure ip's on switches are in same subnet. turn ports on?
been a long time for 1900s so good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back